We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Maynooth, Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Hi all,

We haven't locked down any dates or anything for our holidays this year, but we generally go for the first two weeks of September. We're considering adding Serifos to our itinerary this year (we've talked about it the last three years but it never seemed to make the cut!)

We love Sifnos, it's probably our favourite island so far and I know Serifos is quite close to it, what I'm wondering really is will it be very quiet come September? What's the weather usually like this time of year? (Our second trip to Sifnos was in September and it was very windy and there was some rain one of the days, we could see a big difference in the weather compared to the first time we visited the island which was in August)

I'm assuming Livadi is the best/only place to stay on the island?

Any opinions or suggestions about anything related to Serifos greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Leanne

Mentioned in this post
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Livadi
Livadi
Serifos, Greece
22 replies to this topic
Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Hi Leanne,

We spent 5 days in Serifos a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. We stayed in Livadi. There are some good tavernas and quaint shops at the port and just in behind. Be sure to head up to Chora which is lovely and has some amazing views. We visited in June and had some wild winds while there so never got to see much of the rest of the island but we found the port beach waters clear and calm. We love Sifnos and Serifos made a nice second island on the ferry route.

Karen

Mentioned in this post
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Livadi
Livadi
Serifos, Greece
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Shepperton, United...
Level Contributor
890 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Yes, realistically Livadi, but also the area adjacent to Livadakia beach, just south of the the headland by the ferry dock. Livadakia beach is sandier, clearer sea and over the sandy path of the next headland is Karavi, less sandy but even clearer and deeper. So, for me Livadakia is the best area, perhaps 10mins stroll into town.

Tavernas, shops, bars etc almost exclusively built along this seafront and onto the sand, there's plenty of choice, with the tavernas seemingly becoming progressively less sophisticated and cheaper the further along from the port you stroll. Up in the spectacular chora it is pretty windy in spots, so if you go in the evening take a jacket or something, but no more so than Sifnos down in the port. Other than Livadi, we only made it to Agios Sostis, Ganema, Koutalas (great taverna here https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Rev… ) & Kalo Ampeli beaches, missed out on Psili Ammos and Megalo Livadi, gotta get back soon!

Our trip was in July, and I've not been to any of the Cyclades in September so cannot give any insight to the weather, but I suppose you just have to take your chances to some degree, you may be lucky, you may not, but at least it's nice and cheap :)

Mentioned in this post
Livadi
Livadi
Serifos, Greece
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Serifos is far smaller than Sifnos. It is good for some hikes. We took a taxi towards Kentharchos and walked over th ehills to Chora. A very nice walk along a well marked path. You may also do some kayaking from Livadia. http://www.serifosisland.gr/

Take a look at hotel Alexandros Vassilias at Livadakia beach. They serves the breakfast 10 meters away from the sea. The walk into Livadia takes some 5 minutes. Livadakia is a far nicer beach than in the port.

Mentioned in this post
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Maynooth, Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Thanks for that everyone!

We've been to Greece three times now, twice in September, last year I noticed a difference in terms of the weather and how busy it was compared to the previous year (which was also the same time in September). I guess it's just pot luck really, plus the big difference in price is a help!!

At the minute we kind of have four islands in mind - Sifnos, Serifos, Milos and Folegandros. We've been to all of them before apart from Serifos and we only have enough time to visit three and make them worthwhile so one of them is going to have to get the cut!

Any recommendations on somewhere nice to stay? Generally we look at a couple of different options then base our choice on location, cleanliness and affordability. Although saying that it's nice to splash out on a more expensive place every now and then!

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Folegandros
Folegandros
Cyclades, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,482 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Hi,

I have put Serifos as a first and last island on a number of Cyclades trips. It is basically one of the few islands left with the look of the Cyclades, a port and a Chora above almost hidden behind a hill.

It is more of weekend island for Greeks with increasing numbers of holiday homes, not many but numbers are slowly increasing.

Livadi - Yes, it is really the only place to stay, there is the odd place to stay elsewhere but 99% of acommodation is in Livadi and it is also the most convenient for beaches, tavernas and so on.

There are basically 3 directions to go for a room, to the left for the Livadaki area, to the right around the bay or up the Chora road. Rooms for rent/small hotels everywhere.

The last 2 times I went there just wandered to the left off the ferry over the hill to behind Livadaki beach, there are quite a lot of small rooms for rent places, just ask and negotiate a price at somewhere you fancy.

The weather is the same as anywhere in the Cyclades along with the meltemi wind. You may find beach tavernas closed or a very limited menu by late September as it is nothing like as popular as the central Cyclades. Consequently not enough potential punters.

The obvious islands to combine are Kythnos, Sifnos, Milos, Kimolos, Folegandros, Sikinos, Anafi, Ios etc. As you have done some of those before then you know what to expect.

Mentioned in this post
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Livadi
Livadi
Serifos, Greece
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Folegandros
Folegandros
Cyclades, Greece
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Maynooth, Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Thanks for the info everyone!

We've booked flights for the first two weeks in September. At the minute our route is Serifos for 6 nights (but might consider splitting that and squeezing in Sifnos) Folegandros for 4 and Milos for 4.

We'll more than likely stay at Livadaki beach as that seems to be a nicer beach plus we don't mind the short walk to get to the main restaurants etc. We're still looking at accommodation, Pounti looks nice but it's in Livadi, so still have a lot of thinking to do, but I'm enjoying the research! :)

Mentioned in this post
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Folegandros
Folegandros
Cyclades, Greece
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Livadi
Livadi
Serifos, Greece
stockton on tees
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

i stayed at Pounti last year. It overlooks the ferry port and is about 5 minutes walk to Livadaki beach, close enough for a pre breakfast swim for me. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and the owner is very pleasant and helpful.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Hello, I was in Milos/Serifos 3rd week September 2016. Things were quite. The majority of Bars/Tevernas are open along the front of Livadi and are very nice, Livadakia beach is lovely 10 min walk. The shops and bars in Chora had closed but still worth the walk or the bus went up every hour. A visit to Psili ammos beach is nice, I walked about 90 mins. weather was good, had rain once a bad storm, but it was early morning and things cleared up by 10.30am. The ferry link to the islands you mention is good, I took the Zante ferry from Milos to Serifos, then Serifos to Piraeus. enjoy your trip

Mentioned in this post
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Livadi
Livadi
Serifos, Greece
Psili Ammos Beach
Psili Ammos Beach
215 Reviews
Serifos, Greece
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Maynooth, Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Just doing some light holiday reading on my lunch break!

I notice older forum posts (including one here on this thread) mention how quiet it is on Serifos in September. We have it penciled in as our first stop on our holiday so we will be there the first week of September and currently plan on staying there for 6 nights. Is that too long? We don't enjoy the crowds that you usually see on the bigger islands but at the same time we wouldn't enjoy it if everything is starting to close down for the off season!

Mentioned in this post
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Serifos as a first stop in early September is a good idea. The weather, apart from the meltemi wind if you are unlucky, will still be good and the only 'busy' time will be the weekends when there is a bit of an influx of people from Athens escaping the city for the weekend. It still however is one of the most relaxing and friendly islands we have been to. Almost like Greece of yesteryear and that is saying something these days! In or around Livadi is really the only place to stay as you have fathomed out. Just wander around and have a look at some rooms before deciding.

The walk up and over to Psili Ammos will reward you with another good beach and a decent taverna for lunch.

You mention quietness and wonder if six nights is too long. It is true that as the month wears on it does get progressively quieter but I reckon that 6 nights at the front end of the month will allow you to sink into the lazy and relaxed feel the island exudes, making the busier islands of Sifnos and Milos feel like Blackpool by comparison.

Mentioned in this post
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Livadi
Livadi