We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting the provence area by public transport

Malta
1 post
Save Topic
visiting the provence area by public transport

Hi

this is me first time posting a query on trip advisor

may family and i will be visiting the reagion during teh first week of september coming. we never drove abroad and we would not like to do so, we might be missing on some good opprtunities but my parents are reluctant to driv, and as we will be all together everyone must be happy.

I am trying to look for ways and means some villages whihc seems lovely to visit such as rousillion and gordes. any tips on how to best reach them please?

many thanks

rebecca

UK
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting the provence area by public transport

The Luberon villages are hard or impossible to get to by public transport.

There is no bus service at all to Roussillon.

There is one from Cavaillon to Gordes, see vaucluse.fr/uploads/Externe/23/LIG_HORAIRE_7… and you will see how infrequent it is, plus you have to get to Cavaillon in the first place (there may be a service from Avignon, I don't know but someone else might.) This site also shows a bus service to Bonnieux.

I can't drive so I use public transport and I got to Roussillon last year by taking the Apt-Avignon bus to Pont Julien (8km from Apt) and walking about 5km up the road to Roussillon, and back. If you really don't want to hire a car - and having been to Malta I think you'd find the driving in France relatively sedate! - your options for getting to Roussillon are to hire a taxi or private car and driver for the day, pay for a guided coach trip of the Luberon (there are companies in Avignon that do this) or do what I did. However do bear in mind that bus services are infrequent and slow. The bus services in Malta are amazingly good, the best I've used anywhere. In most of France they are quite the opposite.

for most other places you would want to go there is a bus service, but do plan carefully and make sure the bus you want runs the day you want. I would also suggest you stay somewhere with good transport links such as Aix or Avignon as this is half the battle. let us know how you get on!

Mentioned in this post
Roussillon
Roussillon
Gordes, France
Cavaillon
Cavaillon
Luberon, France
Gordes
Gordes
Luberon, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Bonnieux
Bonnieux
Luberon, France
Apt
Apt
Luberon, France
France
France
Europe
Luberon
Luberon
Vaucluse, France
2. Re: visiting the provence area by public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 18:51