We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Placencia vs Hopkins area?

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
404 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Placencia vs Hopkins area?

Hi, I'm totally to the Belize forums, so I'm sorry in advance if this questions has been asked a few times already (although I did do a search before posting LOL)

We like to go to a different winter destination every year and I noticed the flight prices to either Honduras and Belize are not too bad from here. So today I've been kind of looking into the possibility of going to Belize, but I find it a bit overwhelming all.

My husband and I plus another couple (all in our early forties) would like to go somewhere with a nice beach, a village to stroll around, with a bit of shopping, bars and restaurants, but also a place where we can do 2 or more excursions. None of us are divers, so being close to a reef is not that important to us.

My initial thought was to stick to Placencia, but then I came across Hopkins and now I'm kind of confused! Also...how much will it cost to get from Belize City to Placencia, either by plane or by bus?

All info is greatly appreciated!

1. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2012, 02:08
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins area?

They are both nice. I like Placencia's beach more, and the nightlife there. There are more places to eat at too. I'd take a shuttle, and William at Belize Shuttles is the best.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
404 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins area?

do they have a website?

4. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins area?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2012, 02:08
Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins area?

The one way fare via Maya Island air from the International airport to Placencia is$99.50US to Hopkins $68US. Tropic Air is about $5US higher. I would just take whichever flight is more convenient. Maya Island' has a special is to Dangriga from the Municipal airport. I just took it last week for $27.50US, cash only, no reservations. To go to either Placendia or Hopkins by bus you have to take a taxi to the bus depot in Belize City, take a bus to Dangriga then take a local bus to either Hopkins or Placencia. About 3 hours all told to Hopkins, more to Placencia. People who visit Hopkins from Placencia quite often remark that the beach is nicer in Hopkins. Lots of choice for good food at Driftwood, Thongs, Chef Rob's and local eateries. Placencia has more selection for shopping. If you want to become a regular at a good local bar Hopkins has Windschief or Driftwood, plus a visit to the Drumming Center. If you want an active nightlife with a different place every night and way more choices for dining and shopping, I would pick San Pedro over either Hopkins or Placencia.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
738 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins area?

Anyone have a hotel recommendation for a family for one night in Hopkins, other than Hopkins Inn? They are booked. Would like to be in town, on beach.

Thx.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,208 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins area?

All Seasons Guest House was wonderful. There are rooms on the beach, and across the street (from Chef Robs!)

suitcaseready.com

8. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins area?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 18 November 2012, 15:53
Get answers to your questions about Hopkins