We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around

Reno, Nevada
1 post
Getting around

Hi,

We are heading to Belize in October, this will be our first time visiting. We'll be staying in two places, River House Lodge in Hopkins and Belizean Shores in Ambergris Caye. I'm hoping y'all can help us figure out how to get from place to place. I've been told that we should rent a car from BZE to River House, we'll especially need one to find food and do anything off property, so my question is; would it be better to rent from BZE to Hopkins or fly to Dangriga and rent one there?

We also need to figure out how to get from River House to Belizean Shores, this one really confuses me. What is the easiest way to accomplish this? From what I've seen Belizean Shores has transfers included from the San Pedro, so I think once we get that far we shouldn't need a car or whatever.

Thanks for any advice you can give, I'm really nervous about driving in a foreign country (I've heard horror stories).

9 replies to this topic
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,030 posts
1. Re: Getting around

If you don't want to stop anywhere on the way to Hopkins, it would be better to fly, but I don't know of any rental companies in Dangriga. If you find a rental company there, this is the best option.

https:/…search

If you want, you could fly from BZE to Placencia -- there are a couple of rental companes there...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29197…

Placencia to Hokins is a shorter drive than from BC.

I don't know where Belizean Shores is located, but the easiest way to get to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye is by flight, and you can fly from Dangriga or Placencia or BC (the flights from Dangriga & Placencia will probably go vis BC).

If you rent a car from the airport, it means you have to return the car somewhere. If you arrange to leave the car at Dangriga, you can fly from there. If you drive back to BC, you should be able to drop the car in the city (rather than the International airport), and fly to San Pedro from the smaller Municipal airport in BC (flights are cheaper from Municipal). You can't take the car to Ambergris Caye, and while on AC, you can rent a golf cart if you need transportation.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,480 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Getting around

Belizean Shores is about three miles north of San Pedro. I wouldn’t want to stay there without a cart.

Driving in Belize is pretty easy. There aren’t that many roads. I just wouldn’t drive at night. Too many people, animals, and bicycles on the road. Other than probably getting to/from your house in Hopkins for dinner and such. I’ve never been to Hopkins, have no idea how far you will be from the town.

DOYLESTOWN
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
3. Re: Getting around

I highly recommend the drive from BZE to Hopkins unless you're really pressed for time. The drive is incredibly beautiful, especially through the Maya Mountains and you get a much better sense of the culture than you would if you're just going from the airport to a resort.

Barre, Vermont
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Getting around

I agree with #3, the drive on the Hummingbird Highway is breathtaking. Be sure you don't take the Coastal Highway, we were told that is a very dangerous stretch of road

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
5. Re: Getting around

I've been considering renting a car for a day or two while in Hopkins and have found one company in Hopkins and another in Dangriga. I have not contacted either one yet, but I've posted contact links below.

Roam Belize in Dangriga (lots of info on their website)

https://www.roambelize.com/our-car-fleet.html

They will deliver anywhere in the country (for a fee). If you want to drive to see the country and make some stops, you could pick up at BZE, drive to Hopkins, return car to Dangriga, then fly to Ambergris.

Hopkins Auto Rental

https://www.facebook.com/HopkinsAutoRental/

Have fun!

Hopkins, Belize
Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Getting around

I suggest using Roam Belize as although they are not based in Dangriga, they bring vehicles to you and are very reliable. We have several friends that used them when visiting and highly recommend them.

Also, you will need a vehicle because River House Lodge is not in Hopkins Village, but Sittee River Village. Although not too many miles apart, in Belize a few miles seems like much more. You wouldn't be able to walk to the village.

You could either fly or water taxi to the cayes.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
7. Re: Getting around

My apologies, I thought Roam Belize was based out of Dangriga. I've been looking at too many things lately!

8. Re: Getting around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2018, 13:50

Level Contributor
15 posts
9. Re: Getting around

have a few tips before choosing a rental company. I have been in Belize for a long time and when it comes to renting a car you need all the tips you can get. And there is no time for vehicle problems. Kindly read link below for some tips. You are always welcome to email me if you any other questions.

email address:

askdevjan@gmail.com

https://carrentalsinbelize.wordpress.com/

Reply to: Getting around
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hopkins
Recent Conversations