We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xunantunich Footwear

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Xunantunich Footwear

We will be in Belize next week. Plan to visit Xunantunich on one excursion, and also zipline on another day. Will Chacos suffice, or would our teenage daughters be better off wearing tennis shoes for these 2 activities?

5 replies to this topic
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
1. Re: Xunantunich Footwear

I've always preferred to have my toes covered, and wear something with more support than any type of open shoe when doing a lot of walking -- personal choice.

Edited: 18 May 2018, 02:49
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,861 posts
331 reviews
2. Re: Xunantunich Footwear

I recommend covered toes, too. Chacos are usually relatively heavy and don't have great traction in addition to exposing your toes. My preferred travel shoes are nylon Keen H2Os: lightweight, sturdy, supportive footbeds, toe protection, antimicrobial soles, great traction on slippery rocks, and you can throw them in the washing machine when you get home.

Hopkins, Belize
Level Contributor
132 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Xunantunich Footwear

Many people like their toes covered and protected and that makes sense. However, I have hiked Xunantunich many times with Teva hiking sandals and they work fine. We have found that the Keen's have a defect and have split at the same place more than once for family and friends--so we have all switched the Teva version of the same shoes. All personal preference.

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
691 posts
94 reviews
4. Re: Xunantunich Footwear

My daughter did Lamanai with her Chacos while the rest of us did closed toe Keens or Tevas. She ended up with some minor cuts and wished she had used her Keens.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,861 posts
331 reviews
5. Re: Xunantunich Footwear

I've been wearing Keens since the first pair I bought direct from the factory in 2004, thrilled to have a great white water rafting shoe that would protect my toes. They were so comfortable I started wearing them to work daily - running a learning center for kids with multiple disabilities, autism, and emotional issues - because they were cool, had great traction, protected my feet, I could run in them, and they could be thrown in the washing machine and come out like new. Unless some hard core trekking is involved, flipflops and Keens are the only footwear I pack when I travel (and I travel a lot). In 7 or 8 pairs and millions of steps I've never had one fail.

Also, Keen is a fabulous company with a very charitable culture. "In reaction to the 2004 Asian tsunami, KEEN joined the relief effort by pulling their entire $1M advertising budget and diverting it to disaster relief. This pivotal moment in KEEN's history has shaped a brand culture of giving back and doing the right thing."

So, yeah - will always be Keens for me. :-)

Reply to: Xunantunich Footwear
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hopkins