We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone in Hopkins now or been there recently?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
106 posts
90 reviews
Anyone in Hopkins now or been there recently?

How is the Seagrams along the beaches? We’re staying at a house at the end of the month and I’m concerned my kids won’t be able to go in the ocean.

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Indian Springs...
Level Contributor
307 posts
225 reviews
1. Re: Anyone in Hopkins now or been there recently?

I have not been to Hopkins recently, or the coast, but Sargassm is a 'problem' all over the Atlantic, Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. It increases as the water warms and is carried by the ocean currents. It's a problem for beach goers, but not many others. It has a multitude of beneficial attributes for sea-life, can be used as a fertilizer, and is also edible. Hard to predict exactly where it will be at any given time.

Blair, Nebraska
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Anyone in Hopkins now or been there recently?

We were there last year and are returning the first week in June. The sargassum was hit and miss last year but even when it was near the shore you could usually just walk thru it or around it and get to where it is good for swimming. It seems that you can walk out forever and still be standing. On our first day we were a little surprised and disappointed because of it but really it ended up not being a much of a problem. It's just one of those things to get used to and work around. The keepers of the grounds at our cabana cleaned the beach every morning so that helped too, hopefully yours will do the same. Hopkins is a great village but I will admit at first we had a bit of culture shock. Ultimately we fell in love with the village and its people, thus the return trip. You will have a blast!

Norway, Iowa
10 posts
3. Re: Anyone in Hopkins now or been there recently?

We loved Hopkins so much we are building a house there. If you get down south of the village stop at phase 2 lot 44 and sign our electrical pole. Marker is provided. Go Iowa Hawkeyes!

DOYLESTOWN
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
4. Re: Anyone in Hopkins now or been there recently?

We'll look for your place when we're there in October! Would love to do what you're doing!

Hopkins, Belize
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Anyone in Hopkins now or been there recently?

I live in Hopkins. Currently, there is hardly any--it just went away though. The sargassum was pretty bad the entire month of July and I still swam in the ocean. It's unpredictable. Your kids and you can swim in the ocean, It's just a matter of "getting past the stuff (a few feet) and then the water is blue and clean. Or, you can go to the village pier and avoid having to walk through it-- as it will put you past the sargassum.

Reply to: Anyone in Hopkins now or been there recently?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hopkins