We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insect Repellent

Cedar City, Utah
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Insect Repellent

We are going to Hopkins the first week in April. Just wondering what the best insect repellent would be for us to buy for the trip.

7 replies to this topic
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,563 posts
1. Re: Insect Repellent

Something containing DEET is the usual recommendation, though I don't use it.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,817 posts
331 reviews
2. Re: Insect Repellent

We recommend Ultrathon or Sawyer's Controlled Release with Deet.

Level Contributor
164 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Insect Repellent

Cutter' s repellent is good . But just remember it dont work on the sandflies.

Boulder, Colorado
1 post
1 review
4. Re: Insect Repellent

We just got back from a week in Hopkins. I won't use DEET and went with 20% Picaridin. It worked, but you must be diligent and apply it everywhere. I mistakenly only applied it to my lower legs one evening when we were watching the drumming from the sand at Driftwood, and I paid the price. My arms were eaten alive by the sand flies -- the worst I ever experienced. After a week of hydrocortisone cream and Benadryl tablets, I'm finally starting to look human again! So apply liberally and often, whatever you choose.

On the upside, I only got one mosquito bite all week to my hundreds of sand fly bites.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Insect Repellent

We are getting ready to head to Hopkins the first of week of October and I found a product with Picaridin in it, which is supposedly good for mosquito and sand flies. However, it says you need to buy a special type of product with sunscreen because it won't work with standard sunscreen. Can anyone tell me if the sand flies are an issue during the day? Do most resorts spray for sand flies? I have a lot of Irish blood so not using sunscreen is NOT an option.

Hopkins, Belize
Level Contributor
125 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Insect Repellent

You won't need Deet on the beach in Hopkins. If you go to Cockscomb or Jungle, you would. For sand fleas, you just need something to "cover" your skin so they can not bite. Some people go so far as to just use coconut oil, but I prefer spraying with Repel or Sawyers or some of the home-made stuff. Off now has a non-deet version that they sell at the Hopkins Pharmacy. Also, plenty of gift shops here sale natural versions, usually with lots of citronella, lemon grass, and other ingredients.

I had heard that you could use both sunscreen and picaridin together, but it reduces the effectiveness of sunscreen. (So you should just re-apply more frequently.) But maybe that is not the case.

Most resorts, hotels, and guest houses rake their beaches and this reduces sand fleas. Some do spray as well. When the wind doesn't blow, that is when you should be most concerned about getting bites. Also, be sure to keep your hotel/cabana door closed so they don't come in your room.

DOYLESTOWN
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
7. Re: Insect Repellent

I used this last year and it worked well as long as I remembered to put it on at the beach:

https:/…

I used almond oil instead of baby oil and I just used rubbing alcohol.

We also picked up some insect repellant from the lady who sells hemp products out of her bus right off the main road. That worked well too. It contains: 25% hemp; avacado, wheat germ, grapeseed, rosemary, and ess oil; shea butter and bees wax.

For some reason it also seeemd to help with the bug bites I did get. It dried them up faster.

Reply to: Insect Repellent
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hopkins