We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free glow worms cave to visit

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
Free glow worms cave to visit

I'm gonna spend one night in waitomo, just want advice for free glow worms cave I can visit there?

13 replies to this topic
Ruapehu, New Zealand
Level Contributor
202 posts
1. Re: Free glow worms cave to visit

No such thing as free! I know where you can see glow worms for free but would not post it on a travel forum for the simple reason really.

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Free glow worms cave to visit

You know but if you don't want to post.. then can't help me!anyeay...thanks

I found a place Ruakuri... so far it my only option... I'm trying to ask more place from locals, some backpackers I picked them up on the way told me about some hidden places they were taken by some locals . But they didn't remember the name!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
41,148 posts
454 reviews
3. Re: Free glow worms cave to visit

All the tourist caves are on private land and the owners have spent considerable money putting in safety features such as lights, board walks etc for tourists. To get to the free caves you need (a) landowner permission, (b) speliologists' helmets; lights etc.

California
Level Contributor
11,762 posts
72 reviews
4. Re: Free glow worms cave to visit

The only place near Waitomo is at the Ruakuri Bush Walk. They are not in a cave, so you have to go at night. See the first item on this page: https:/…

Better displays are at Waipu Caves and Abbey Caves in Northland. They are in actual caves and can be seen during the day. Take a torch to navigate the caves then turn it off and wait a few minutes for your eyes to adjust to the darkness.

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Free glow worms cave to visit

Thanks, actually what I mean free is mostly refer to hidden/non tourist places I always would like to visit rather than commercial places. Diffinately some of them really worth to pay and visit...

Edited: 27 April 2018, 23:59
Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Free glow worms cave to visit

This link is a good one..I'm trying to find more hidden/non tourist places to see... thanks a lot for your help

California
Level Contributor
11,762 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: Free glow worms cave to visit

Download a copy of the New Zealand Frenzy books (or buy paper copy on Amazon). http://www.nzfrenzy.com He offers a downloaded chapter for free on that page if you want to sample it first.

It's full of off-the-beaten tourist route kinds of things.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
104 posts
32 reviews
8. Re: Free glow worms cave to visit

That's a self cancelling goal, to visit a non-touristed place. You are a tourist. So even if you get "there", its immediately a touristed place.

Ruapehu, New Zealand
Level Contributor
202 posts
9. Re: Free glow worms cave to visit

I know of a location but as it is not a Touristy location and we dont want it to become a touristed location why would I put it on a tourist inhabited forum?

As already said some places should be free of tourists and the risks they actually impose to the area and themselves.

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Free glow worms cave to visit

There are some differences between a tourist and a traveller travelling style! I chose to be the second one! Cheers

Edited: 28 April 2018, 10:00
Reply to: Free glow worms cave to visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted