We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach camping in North Carolina?

New York City, New...
14 posts
Save Topic
Beach camping in North Carolina?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a beach to camp on in North Carolina. I was originally looking at beaches in the Wilmington area but I couldn't find out whether you're actually allowed to camp directly on the beach. I've also heard Freeman Park is an option, but I don't know much about that either.

I'm looking for a beach to camp on for one night. It doesn't need to have fancy campgrounds; just a place to pitch a tent and where you're allowed to drive your car onto the beach would be great. This will be for mid-August.

Thank you!

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach camping in North Carolina?

Carolina Beach State Park offers camping, but it's not directly on the beach.

Both Cape Lookout and Cape Hatteras National Seashores offer beach camping, but they aren't near Wilmington. You can google both for info if you're interested.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach camping in North Carolina?

On the Outer Banks there is none allowed right on the beach but there are several that are just over the dunes. Portsmouth island there is some primitive camping but you need 4 wheel drive to get there and pay for a ferry too.

You can check into the NPS parks on THe outer banks , Or KOA or Camp Hatteras . If you like sound side camping you can find some water front sites at Frisco Woods Camp ground , the best camp ground in my opinion with plenty of woods around

Milan, Italy
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach camping in North Carolina?

Is it allowed to stay on the beach overnight, say walk around, enjoy the stars, etc, without a tent.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach camping in North Carolina?

Alen it depend on where you go and when on Hatteras they implement a rule during Turtle hatching and you cannot be on the beach from 10 pm to 6 am

Milan, Italy
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach camping in North Carolina?

Thanks fish_oinc, but when is it for turtle hatching?

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach camping in North Carolina?

No set dates Alen but between August and October normally

7. Re: Beach camping in North Carolina?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 09:46