We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer to Outer Banks

Leominster
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First timer to Outer Banks

Hi!

I am hoping to visit the Outer Banks during the second week of October. I have never been and don't even know where to start. I will be coming from Massachusetts and was hoping someone could tell me the best way to get there via a plane. I figured I could fly down to the nearest major airport and then rent a car to get there the rest of the way. This is my first time, so I am not sure where to stay or the towns to visit. What I like in a trip is some nightlife, good food, fun stuff to see, nice beaches, water sports, and any other unique things to do or see. I am not into hiking or things like that. I have been trying to grasp the vibe of the outer banks. What I have gotten from most people is it is really a beautiful laid back type of place. Should I rent a hotel or a cottage? I would be visiting for about 5 days. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!

Take care,

Julie

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer to Outer Banks

The nearest airport is Norfolk (ORF) which is about 1.5 hrs away from Kitty Hawk which is where you would enter the Outer Banks. From there it is about 40 min north to Corolla or south to Kill Devil Hills, then Nags Head and south to Hatteras which will take about 1.5 hrs from Kitty Hawk.

Kitty hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head will offer the most nightlife and shopping and things to see and do. Each town is about 5 miles long so Kitty Hawk to Nags Head is just 10 miles and easy to get around. You can explore the area and see the Outer Banks or you can enjoy the beach and the ocean which is still very warm with less crowds than in the summer months. There are a hundred plus restaurants to choose from.

Edited: 14 July 2010, 01:08
Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer to Outer Banks

What OBX200 said about the Air Port , Nags head will work for you you can explore in both directions from there .

A house would be more comfortable but if you flying I'm guessing you will be limited to what you bring and most homes only rent a week at a time . Here are a couple of site to help you

http://www.obxconnection.com/

You can find accommodations in this site and a lot more

http://fishoinc.tripod.com/

And lots of other thing here

Leominster
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer to Outer Banks

Thank you both for your quick response. I had no idea I could do day trips to see all of the outer banks. For some reason I thought it was much larger. I have a very random question. Is there a lot of Jelly Fish in the water down there? I was in DE last summer and experienced the jelly fish. Thanks so much!

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer to Outer Banks

Jellyfish aren't common in October.

Rent your car at Dollar Rent a Car at Norfolk airport. They always have great rates for "city specials."

Here are some ideas on types of accommodations.

outerbanks.org/accommodations/accommodation_…

5. Re: First timer to Outer Banks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 11:46