We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pittsburgh to rodanth lower bridge

Pittsburgh...
1 post
Save Topic
pittsburgh to rodanth lower bridge

traveling with 3 young kids from Pittsburgh to Rodanth at the end of July. We typically stay north in Duck or Corolla but the traffic has been too much lately so this is our first trip south. Unfortunately its a Saturday check in. Everything I find online says to cross at the Wright Brothers Bridge in Kitty Hawk and drive down the island. it seems it would make more sense to avoid the traffic there and cross over the lower bridge through Roanoke Island, but I cant find anything online if good or bad idea? is this bridge even open or under construction? any advice from people with experience traveling to any of the hatteras island towns would be appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
Kitty Hawk
Kitty Hawk
Outer Banks, NC
Roanoke Island
Roanoke Island
Outer Banks, NC
3 replies to this topic
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pittsburgh to rodanth lower bridge

Last year the traffic crossing the WBM bridge was not bad on Saturdays other than July 4 and maybe another time when there was an accident. Only time will tell if that holds true again this year, bit it made little difference when you crossed last year for the first time. Check back as the weeks go by to see.

Go as you would to Duck and then turn south in Kitty Hawk and you will avoid the Rt 12 parking lot to Duck. You still will have 1 hr to go to Rodanthe but the traffic will be moving and you won't be just putting along. There are ways around the WBM bridge in Kitty Hawk but it will add more miles and time and would only be worth doing if the traffic is backed way back from the bridge, but last year that did not happen so I would not plan to do it yet.

BTW - when you cross over the WBM bridge you are not on an island nor are you on an Island in Duck or Corolla. You might think you are, but you are not until you go over the Oregon Inlet bridge to Hatteras.

Watch the traffic cameras on Saturday to see for yourself here https:/…

Edited: 07 June 2018, 20:34
Mentioned in this post
Kitty Hawk
Kitty Hawk
Outer Banks, NC
Rodanthe
Rodanthe
Outer Banks, NC
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
422 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: pittsburgh to rodanth lower bridge

This is the route I would take https://goo.gl/maps/LDzj9nKKQov. From what I understand all the bridges on US-64 are open now, as well as the bridge on RT-12 above Rodanthe (crossed it last weekend). Going this way you escape the severe torment of driving in the DC metro area to Richmond as well as the inexplicable backups that occur on I-64 into the Tidewater. Not to mention if the north to Corolla traffic backs up the WMB. If you take this route and want a break for lunch stop in Edenton NC, there are a couple of good restaurants there.

Mentioned in this post
Rodanthe
Rodanthe
Outer Banks, NC
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pittsburgh to rodanth lower bridge

Don't be fooled by the google maps routes that run through DC on I-95 and I-64 southeast of Richmond.

It may say "9 hours, 40 minutes" but the traffic on I-95 south is so unpredictable and usually pretty bad.

I've seen a 2 hour trip between DC and RIC turn into 4 hours of stop and go. Not fun.

So when someone offers you up a better route I'd seriously consider it, especially if you're doing the whole trip on a Saturday.

Ideally, I'd go on Friday and spend the night in Edenton and sleep in the next day,

get up and take my time, stop in Manteo for lunch and/or visiting historic sites or grocery shopping

(cooler/cooler bags are good for keeping things cold), visit the Bodie lighthouse,

or Oregon Inlet, then you're not far to Rodanthe. (pronounced Ro-dan-thee)

Don't forget the bug spray!

Depending on the direction the wind blows you might not have any mosquitoes at all, or you might be carried off by them.

Not necessarily an issue on the beach because the breeze always blows, but once you get behind the dune line, they can be voracious in attacking unprotected flesh if conditions are right.

Have a fun trip!

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Manteo
Manteo
Roanoke Island, NC
Rodanthe
Rodanthe
Outer Banks, NC
Reply to: pittsburgh to rodanth lower bridge