We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

single female

2 posts
single female

I am considering a short stay as a single female traveler. Any places that are more suited for singles (not looking to meet anyone, btw). Any areas to avoid?

Also, the only shuttle service I see from the airport has a two person minimum. I assume there are other options, but I would very much appreciate suggestions as my search skills are clearly lacking on this one!

9 replies to this topic
Woodstock, Canada
Level Contributor
985 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: single female

There is a thread from February/April on Solo female Travel. Just do a search and have it sort by date and you'll get most recent threads. There are busses going to Chiquilla. It depends where you are coming from. The 1st class ADO bus leaves cancun at 9:30 or so. There are otherS but it has bathroom and usually in good shape. Busses are very cheap!

2 posts
2. Re: single female

perfect thank you! my single female search only returned years-old posts, much appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: single female

Consider staying at Tribu hostel. They have so many great activities for meeting people including free yoga and free tango classes. It is a great place to meet people!

wanderingsincedawn.com/holbox-island-mexico/

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
8,307 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: single female

The ADO leaves Cancun at 10:30 (arrives at 2pm) and the cost is 244 pesos. We took the 7:50 am Mayab and while their website says 133 pesos, the actual charge was 180 pesos. It was a 2 hour 40 minute ride. No restrooms on that bus but very comfortable. Are you coming from the airport or from Cancun?

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
8,307 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: single female

I see now that you said the airport.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: single female

You don't need 2 people to book a shuttle. They just list the prices for 2. Holbox Adventure and others will gladly transport a solo traveler.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
136 posts
7. Re: single female

Holbox is a great place for a single traveler because it's so safe. There are plenty of great hostels and cheaper hotels for people coming on their own (shared or private rooms). In terms of travelling to Holbox, there are buses you can take, but not directly from the airport - you'd need to take a bus into Cancun centre first and then catch the bus to Chiquilá. Just watch your bags on the 2nd class buses if you decide to take one of these because there have been cases of people stealing bags while passengers sleep.

There are also private transfers (prices are for two people, but they will take one; it just ends up more expensive). There are also scheduled shuttles from the airport now too, so this is probably the cheaper option for you if the timetables work. Most private transfers offer a door-to-door service (including the ferry and taxi to hotel in Holbox) - more expensive, but I've taken these before just for the ease of it. With a fuzzy long-flight brain, it's nice for someone to take care of everything for you. Depends on what kind of traveler you are though :)

Here's a link to an online guide to Holbox with loads of info on hotels and ways to get to the island. Bus timetables and private transfer/shuttle info is on there, and you can book online directly.

https://the.holboxeno.com/getting-to-holbox-…

Hope this helps!

Warrenton, Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: single female

I stayed at Hotel Mawimbi and it was very nurturing and private....a beautiful beach and hotel. Try jimmytoursholbox@gmail.com for better pricing on transportation to and from.

Warrenton, Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: single female

I stayed at Hotel Mawimbi and it was very nurturing and private....a beautiful beach and hotel. Try jimmytoursholbox@gmail.com for better pricing on transportation to and from.

Reply to: single female
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island