We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices

Dublin
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Prices

Hi all

We are staying first time in puglia the first two weeks of August and whilst I realise this is peak season I feel the prices are a total rip off compared to elsewhere.

For example Today we are are in Baia Verde and we’ve been charged almost 70€ to park the car and have 4 sun beds and 2 umbrellas for the day. London looks cheap in comparison! Our accommodation is also pricey, and not as high standard or as well maintained as i’d Expect for the price, and the location is not so great. Also I’ve noticed There is a litter problem in this part of Italy. Staying at Gallipoli at the moment, hoping it’s better in Otranto where we are going in a few days. It’s not a great way to get visitors to return to a location....I don’t get the point of this.

Mentioned in this post
Baia Verde
Baia Verde
Gallipoli, Italy
London
London
England, UK
Italy
Italy
Europe
Gallipoli
Gallipoli
Province of Lecce, Italy
Otranto
Otranto
Province of Lecce, Italy
8 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices

So sorry you are having a bad visit. Hope it gets better

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,621 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices

I think the normal price in Italy is 15 to 20 Euro per sunbed... Here on Miami Beach it's 20 US

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
London
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices

August is a well known rip-off because they get tons of tourists anyway. Plenty of Italians tourists everywhere so whether you go or not, they probably don't care that much.

Puglia and the Salento area in particular is the fashionable place to be at the moment (for good reasons, the sea water is amazing), so they clearly need you even less there.

If you are don't care about the water being crystal clear and just need a nice sandy beach there are plenty of cheaper options. For example II paid € 90 for the week in Rimini (one umbrella and 2 loungers) which I thought it was great value considering all the additional services they offer.

"I think the normal price in Italy is 15 to 20 Euro per sunbed"

Again in Rimini, Riccione, Cattolica, etc. the price is more like € 7 per sunbed, much less if you book it for the week.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 20:47
Mentioned in this post
Puglia
Puglia
Italy
Salento
Salento
Puglia, Italy
Rimini
Rimini
Province of Rimini, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Riccione
Riccione
Cattolica
Cattolica
London
Level Contributor
518 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices

You can do the beaches more cheaply - there’s always a free beach area where you can just chuck down your own towel and maybe use a 10 Euro umbrella that you got in the supermarket. We’re near Torre Canne and the variation in how much you might spend is astonishing: 50 Euros per person in a fancy beach club versus five Euros for parking and facilities in a Lido

Mentioned in this post
Torre Canne
Torre Canne
Province of Brindisi, Italy
Turin
Level Contributor
8,974 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices

>70€ to park the car and

>have 4 sun beds and 2 umbrellas

>for the day.

This means 2 families and one car. It's not cheap, but it isn't that expensive.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
133 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prices

“It’s not a great way to get visitors to return to a location” Odd post and seems to boil down to complaining that a resort charges high season prices during er high season and that you chose a duff hotel. We’ve recently returned from Puglia & stayed in three different hotels/apt’s- all reasonably priced & in great locations. We avoided Gallipoli.

Mentioned in this post
Puglia
Puglia
Italy
Gallipoli
Gallipoli
Province of Lecce, Italy
Dublin
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prices

Thank you for your messages.

Booked the hotel at the last minute and facilities not so good so thought a day at the beach would be nice as we’ve done in other places in the same two weeks of the year (we have school going children). We’ve never paid those kind of prices for a family of 4 with a car at the beach in other places we’ve been to, so it’s a shock yes.

Suck it up I suppose but has left me with a bad taste in the mouth. Shame.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
133 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prices

Ah, a last minute booking can be a gamble. We don’t tend to get sun beds and end up with beach towels squeezed in somewhere. Parking seemed to be a bit of a problem in the towns & villages across Puglia. Otranto is much nicer than Gallipoli by all accounts. Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Puglia
Puglia
Italy
Otranto
Otranto
Province of Lecce, Italy
Gallipoli
Gallipoli
Province of Lecce, Italy
Reply to: Prices
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted