We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire in Piano di Sorrento / Naples Airport

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire in Piano di Sorrento / Naples Airport

Hello ;0)

We've booked at the Nastro Azzuro at the end of April and are wondering if it's worth hiring a car? If so, are we best to arrange car hire in the UK before we leave or arrange it when we arrive in Sorrento? I'm particularly concerned about excessive insurance excess charges.

Any recommendations will be gratefully received!

Many thanks

Edited: 26 March 2012, 03:53
Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,874 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire in Piano di Sorrento / Naples Airport

Car rental www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,227 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire in Piano di Sorrento / Naples Airport

Arrange your rental beforehand: walk-up prices will be higher.

UK
Level Contributor
3,215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire in Piano di Sorrento / Naples Airport

Before you book a car check whether you have to pay for parking at the hotel, it can be expensive

nastroazzurroresort.com/en/hotel_services.htm

UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire in Piano di Sorrento / Naples Airport

Yes, like the first reply, I would recommend www.auto-europe.co.uk. I booked a car through them online and picked it up last week at Naples Airport. They use Thrifty, who are generally the cheapest for basic/non-pristine cars. A Fiat Panda for 3 days cost just under £40 in total. Not bad...eh?

Mentioned in this post
Naples Airport
Naples Airport
Naples, Italy
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire in Piano di Sorrento / Naples Airport

Were you staying in Sorrento itself I'd say to forget a car because Naples itself and the coast road to Sorrento are very busy and the Napolitani have the reputation as the worst drivers in Italy!

There's a bus from Naples airport to town, 30 minutes maybe, and a train which goes from Naples to Sorrento taking about an hour ('the CircumVesuviana'); the locals use it to commute.

There is also a regular bus service from Naples Iirport direct to Sorrento. This website will be useful for transport www.friendsofsorrento.co.uk/transport.htm

If you get out at Piazza Garibaldi, you'll see what I mean about traffic. I've driven elsewhere in Italy, I won't do Naples.

The Nastro Azzuro isn't really in Piano di Sorrento it's well up the hillside behind it. Maybe 4 km to Piano, or 7 km to Sorrento. The Nastro Azzuro runs a shuttle bus into Sorrento! A combination of this with the above provides you with transport to your hotel, maybe less conveniently than a car you'd think ... but I'm not sure you'd enjoy a car if unused to Naples.

If you want to visit the Amalfi coast or Capri there are LOADS of tours, and there's public transport if you prefer. Capri itself is walkable after a bit of an uphill, one reason for going with a group. Views from the top are to die for. If you want to visit Naples - take the train, and use the subway to get to the touristy bits; and have a map handy. There are tours of Naples which take you round town but they get snarled up in traffic. For Vesuvius, Herculaneum, Pompeii, grab a tour.

I am not a local but I've been to the area a few times. Sorry to sound negative about car hire.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Naples
Naples
Italy
Italy
Europe
Naples Airport
Naples Airport
Naples, Italy
Piazza Garibaldi
Piazza Garibaldi
200 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
489 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire in Piano di Sorrento / Naples Airport

I also agree with the Derek G (reply 5). Don't hire a car unless you need to. Not only is the standard of driving "different" to the UK, you may also have issues trying to find a place to park. If you are just going to Sorrento and need to visit a few tourist sites such as Pompeii, it is better to use public transport.

Public transport in Italy is much cheaper than the UK.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Pompeii
Pompeii
Italy
Italy
Europe
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,680 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire in Piano di Sorrento / Naples Airport

I'll just chime in and say that I would also think twice about a car hire.

You have many public transport options in and around Sorrento. You have a shuttle bus with your hotel. This is what our hotel had, and we found it very convenient. No parking, no navigating, no petrol, no insurance.

The ferry will take you to Capri.

The SITA bus will take you to the Amalfi Coast, and you can come back on a ferry to Positano, and from there go by SITA bus or ferry to Sorrento.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
London
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire in Piano di Sorrento / Naples Airport

Many thanks everyone for your responses, they've been very helpful.

bath
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire in Piano di Sorrento / Naples Airport

hi

I am planning a holiday in Piano di Sorrento. If we arrive at Naples airport at 20.20 can we get public transport to our hotel? How easy will it be at that time of night?

we're thinking of staying at the Villagio Costa Alta.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Naples Airport
Naples Airport
Naples, Italy
10. Re: Car hire in Piano di Sorrento / Naples Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 15:47
Get answers to your questions about Piano di Sorrento