We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do I find cruise schedule and what ports should I look

Lake Worth, Florida
Level Contributor
673 posts
75 reviews
43 helpful votes
Where do I find cruise schedule and what ports should I look
Save

We are visiting St. John from August 6-14 and I want to take the ferry one day to VG to go to The Baths. I've read it's crazy busy when the cruise ships are in. Where can I find the cruise ship schedules and which cruise ship ports will affect the Baths? Thank you!

I find this one, not sure if there are others.

http://www.vinow.com/cruise/ship-schedule/

3 replies to this topic
Dana Point...
Level Contributor
889 posts
1. Re: Where do I find cruise schedule and what ports should I look
Save

We are not fond of cruise ships and the disgorging of thousands of passengers on one tiny small beach or area, like the Baths,.......White Bay, Jost Van Dyke......and Canegarden Bay.

However, August is going to be quite calmer than May, when we skipper a sailing vessel in the BVI...

Some days the pax count is 17,000 passengers combined on all of the ships in a single day.

AUGUST: You may be lucking out in one way, and maybe not in another.

August is a hurricane season month. Sept. being the worst.

The frequency of the cruise ships drops to only a few days a week.

Open, no cruise ship days...for your time period

Aug. 6.....Sat..........No ships

Aug 7.....Sun.........No ships

Aug 11....THR........No ships

Aug 12....Fri ..........No ships

Aug 13....Sat..........No ships

Otherwise, there will be a lot fewer cruise ships on the other days of your week, max 7000 down to 2500 Passengers.

As to how many will be taking ferrys or tenders to the Baths , that will take some additional research. The link has the names of the different cruise ships and where the ship itself will be berthed or anchored.

You could look the various ships up on the web and probably find more definitive info as to if and when and how many that they can transport to the baths or other great beaches.

From what we witnessed on our last BVI trip when we were at the Baths, we will just avoid gong there at those times when the cruise ship deluge is present. We can chart our own courses and try to work around all that.

Your link was very helpful.

Lake Worth, Florida
Level Contributor
673 posts
75 reviews
43 helpful votes
2. Re: Where do I find cruise schedule and what ports should I look
Save

I'm confused about why you say no ships on those days. There were ships in St. Thomas and in Tortola one day. Am I missing something?

I'm adding this website for future readers searching the forums:

http://ports.cruisett.com/

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
889 posts
3. Re: Where do I find cruise schedule and what ports should I look
Save

You may be missing something. The month that the OP is going to be in the BVI / USVI is AUGUST.....The info that I posted was the schedule for August.......that info was on the link. You can search the proper month for the OP's time of visit. AUGUST.

If you are in the VI now april and MAY, there are loads of cruise ships....you can count up the pax capacity of each ship and add them up. Some days was up to 17,000 toal pax. Also, you can see toward the end of may , the cruise ship schedules start to drop in frequency.

The reason that there are fewer cruise ships in AUGUST is that it is smack dab in Hurricane Season. Actually, many businesses in the BVI and probably the USVI will take time off , or reduce their staffs.

We, as well as many others stay clear of the Caribbean during hurricane season. Others find good deals at that time, and less people visiting. Many roll the dice and have grand vacations, others have not been so fortunate.

So, the cruise ship companies will reposition their vessels from the Caribbean to other ports on the planet that are away from the Hurricane Season in the caribbean,. Result is less ships, and reduced days.

Also, the last two weeks at the end of may is when we chose to sail the BVI.....before the kids are out of school and before hurricane season begins. Good sailing winds, lots of sunshine, a few passing showers, moorings available, etc. . Also, the frequency of the cruise ships starts to drop.

Reply to: Where do I find cruise schedule and what ports should I look
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about The Baths