We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go to the Baths by Ferry or Private charter, then swim in??

LUVLAKEJAMES
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
5 helpful votes
Go to the Baths by Ferry or Private charter, then swim in??
Save

We want to go to the Baths, but taking the public ferry, then taking a bus or taxi to the location seems very "touristy", and probably more crowded. Is it better to take a private charter boat there- anchor, then swim in? We are going to be snorkeling one day anyway, and want to make this one of our stops. If you swim in, do you miss the scenery of taking the trails through the rocks, or can you reach shore easily from the water?

7 replies to this topic
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
22 reviews
29 helpful votes
1. Re: Go to the Baths by Ferry or Private charter, then swim in??
Save

What time of year? We have been there in January and February and the mooring field was packed and the seas were very rough. Swimming in on those days would have been miserable. (One day someone had to be rescued and the medics were working on another)

One June day, it felt like we had the place to ourselves.

The drive from town does allow you to see the sights and e view from the top is very pretty. The bar at the top is a nice place for a drink and lunch.

South Hadley...
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
33 reviews
28 helpful votes
2. Re: Go to the Baths by Ferry or Private charter, then swim in??
Save

The Baths is a top tourist attraction and sometimes there are a lot of people there. If a cruise ship is in either at Tortola or Virgin Gorda it will be packed. I like the ferry and taxi option because it gives you more time on VG to see more of the island. You also have the option of going to the Baths at a different time of day. Coming in on a boat does not give you many options and sometimes the mooring field is full and you have to wait for someone to leave. I am assuming you are staying on Tortola. I would ferry to VG and leave the day trip on a boat with another itinerary.

LUVLAKEJAMES
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Go to the Baths by Ferry or Private charter, then swim in??
Save

We are actually going in a couple of weeks. We have a private charter boat booked & were planning on doing some island hopping & snorkeling. Leaving out of Soper Hole. Just thought we would go there first then possibly Norman Island/Indians/Caves.

If you take Speedy's ferry, do you book the bus or taxi through them, or just pick one up when you arrive?

thanks for the input!!

South Hadley...
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
33 reviews
28 helpful votes
4. Re: Go to the Baths by Ferry or Private charter, then swim in??
Save

If you are going to be on a boat, that is a different story IMO. You don't need to take the ferry, you can take your boat to VG and dock at Spanish Town and grab a taxi to go to the Baths or spend the day and rent a car. You can also judge the swell and if the Baths are crowded before you get to Spanish Town and if it is not crowded you can pop into the Baths and grab a mooring ball. I think you might be able to anchor north of the Baths but am not 100% sure. I thought you were going to be vacationing on land.

The other place you can stop on Virgin Gorda is Leverick and get a car or a taxi.

LUVLAKEJAMES
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Go to the Baths by Ferry or Private charter, then swim in??
Save

We are only on the water 1 day with a captain, so were only going to spend a little time at the Baths before going to Norman Island etc. I think we may just need to do the ferry, on a non-cruise ship day. I am afraid now if we try to swim in, we may miss some of it!!

South Hadley...
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
33 reviews
28 helpful votes
6. Re: Go to the Baths by Ferry or Private charter, then swim in??
Save

VG is definitely worth a full day. Rent a car from Mahoganyand enjoy the island!

If you don't want to do that, Speedy's does have packages that combine the ferry with taxi and you can add lunch. I would not choose the lunch option as it will reduce your time at the Baths. You can eat at Top of the Baths and they have a fresh water pool so you can take a dip prior to getting back on the ferry.

They also do island tours if that interests you. It is all on their website.

http://www.bviferries.com/index.html

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
331 posts
59 reviews
8 helpful votes
7. Re: Go to the Baths by Ferry or Private charter, then swim in??
Save

Agree with Cleo - if the swell is up go to Spanish town and get a taxi.

Reply to: Go to the Baths by Ferry or Private charter, then swim in??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about The Baths