We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rodopi day hike suggestions

2 posts
Save Topic
Rodopi day hike suggestions

Hi, I will be in Bulgaria at the end of september for a couple of days, mostly located in Plovdiv. I was wondering if there are any nice day hikes that are possible starting and ending on a bus stop on the Plovdiv - Smolyan bus line (Chepelare, Pamporovo, ...). Is there a guide or maps with these kinds of walks and where is it available? Thanks in advance?

3 replies to this topic
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rodopi day hike suggestions

I'm sure there are plenty of hikes, but the one I know about is outside of Smolyan, called Waterfall Canyon. Waterfall canyon is just an absolutely beautiful hike along side some rivers with a series of waterfalls, bridges, scenic views etc.

I have some pictures here that don't really do it justice: https:/…

The trail head is going to be difficult to find. You would need to take a taxi from Smolyan. Although the trail head does start in town, the town is long. I speak passable Bulgarian and had a fluent Bulgarian with me and it still took 1/2 hour to find the trail head. The best description I found online was: "То rеасh thе есо-trаіl іt іѕ bеѕt tо аѕk thе lосаlѕ. Тhе соrrесt wау іѕ frоm thе wеѕtеrn ѕuburbѕ Ѕrеdоkа оn thе rоаd tо thе vіllаgе оf Мuglа. Nеаr-bу аn оld gаrаgе thеrе іѕ аn ехіt tо thе rіght, whеrе уоu wіll ѕее а ѕmаll ѕіgn fоr thе саnуоn." Or it looks like Google has now added it - if you search for "canyon falls" the marker is the junction of the road and the road that leads to the trail. In other words, the trail starts here, go up the right fork with the trail marker: https://goo.gl/maps/k9fyLLEEkaq

Smolyan also has a very good history museum on the Rhodopis, I would not miss it - they have cards in English for each room and I learned quite a bit about the history, culture etc of the region. The adjacent art museum is not as good but still worth walking through. Smolyan in general might make a good overnight stop, its the biggest town in the region, I personally like Smolyan.

Nearby there are a lot of caves in the area. Research Uhlovitsa, Yagodina, Dyavolsko Garlo (Devils Throat). They all have guided (mandatory) tours, but I don't know if they are in English. I really liked the Devil's Throat, it's pretty incredible.

Edited: 11 June 2017, 21:35
sofia
Level Contributor
442 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rodopi day hike suggestions

You want to go from Plovdiv to the Rhodopes mountain area and towns and return in the same day ? If so, it will be hard to have enough time for a hike in the mountains, from Plovdiv to Smolyan is about 2 hours with car each direction, most interesting places are not even near Smolyan. I suggest visiting the Devin , Trigrad , Shiroka Luka areas. " The wonderful bridges" for example is a pretty good place in the Rhodopi mountains.

Sunny Beach...
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rodopi day hike suggestions

To take the most of a day tour in the Rhodopes from Plovdiv indeed you will need a car (rented, a taxi or a private tour). If you insist on using public transportation you will have to allow 2-3 days out of Plovdiv as connections are not good and travelling along the mountain roads is slow.

Reply to: Rodopi day hike suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Smolyan Province