We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to Puerto RIco beach question.

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
1st trip to Puerto RIco beach question.

We gave been to St. John twice and thought we would give Puerto Rico a try this coming winter. St. John has beautiful beaches without high rise condos, like Maho Bay for example. I am wondering if we could be lucky enough to find a quiet beach like that in Puerto Rico. Thanks.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to Puerto RIco beach question.

Not in the San Juan metro area (Isla Verde, Condado, etc).

Head to Culebra or Vieques.

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to Puerto RIco beach question.

Thanks Ray, we will be staying on the east side of PR and I am guessing those beaches are quite a distance by boat. Anymore suggestions?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to Puerto RIco beach question.

Stay at the El Conquistador. THey have rented an offshore island and run a shuttle over to it.

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to Puerto RIco beach question.

Do I have to stay at the El Conquistador to get to that island (Palomino)? Thanks.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to Puerto RIco beach question.

Yes. It's private.

Ann Arbor, Mich.
Level Contributor
447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip to Puerto RIco beach question.

Palomino is indeed private, though I've seen some boats anchor offshore and people swim to the beach. Palominito is available to the public, but again, you'll need to rent or charter a boat or tour to get there.

I've heard good things about Seven Seas beach in Fajardo but have never been. Luoquillo is also nearby, and although there are highrises in town, the beach (Montserrate) is very nice.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st trip to Puerto RIco beach question.

Seven Seas is a nice beach and so is Monserrate (Luquillo Beach). They are not super quiet beaches since "beach season" is underway in PR but are nice none the less. The Conquistador's private island has a decent beach but there's rocks and seaweed to deal with at times. I live in PR and go to the beach every weekend so I know.

2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st trip to Puerto RIco beach question.

culebra or vieques for privacy!

Attleboro...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st trip to Puerto RIco beach question.

Playa Sucia in Cabo Rojo, Crash boat Beach in Aguadilla, Jobos Beach in Isabela, Playa Puerto Nuevo in Vega Baja, Playa Santa in Guanica. Defintely would need a car for these and I would recommend going during the week, as the weekends are full with locals.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st trip to Puerto RIco beach question.

I cannot recommend Crash Boat beach in Aguadilla as the locals trash it up and thugs hang out there.