We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Fajardo to Vieques or Culebra

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
156 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Fajardo to Vieques or Culebra

Hi all,

I'm traveling to PR for the 2nd time in late April. My first time I stayed in Dorado. This time, I would like to explore more, including possible trips to Vieques or Culebra. I have a few questions about the ferry in Fajardo. Where is the dock? What is the time schedule? Is there somewhere to leave a rental car and is it safe? I've read that you have to arrive several hours in advance to buy tickets for the ferry. Is any time better or worse for getting tickets?

Also, if you had to choose between Vieques or Culebra, which would you pick and why? Is it worth it to go for 2 or 3 days? I like water activities and some nature. I also want to do a Biobay tour. Thanks!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Fajardo to Vieques or Culebra

It's worse ... go read this other thread ... tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g612474-i11045-k73…

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
156 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Fajardo to Vieques or Culebra

Is there the same problem with the Fajardo-Vieques ferry?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Fajardo to Vieques or Culebra

The ferry to Vieques is not _as_ bad, because all things being equal fewer people use that ferry. But ferries are breaking (that's nothing new), and there are no backups.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Fajardo to Vieques or Culebra

My girlfriend and I did the snorkeling tour with kayaking puerto rico and it includes tickets on the ferry to Culebra where you snorkel . You only get about an hour at flamenco beach for lunch but you get to see it at least and snorkel with sea turtles ! It's 75 a person which is less then a plane ticket for both ways .

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Fajardo to Vieques or Culebra

Hopefully by late April, ATM will have repaired the passenger ferry for Culebra and have a few more ferries running. But, it is a wait and see.

If snorkeling is not your #1 activity and you are willing to rent a car, stay on Vieques. The biobay is great and the F&W beaches are amazing and there are a few other things to do and see.

Culebra is more of a relax and snorkel place for me.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
156 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Fajardo to Vieques or Culebra

Another question. We arrive in San Juan on Sunday at 1:15 pm. Do you think we'll have enough time to rent a car and drive to Fajardo in time to catch the last ferry to Vieques? (I think it's at 4:30). Thanks!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from Fajardo to Vieques or Culebra

There is also an 8pm ferry. It is possible you might make it to the 4:30pm, but it might be pushing it.

You can't take your car on the ferry, you would have to park it at the dock.

Upper Marlboro...
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from Fajardo to Vieques or Culebra

You'd definitely be pushing it to make the 4:30 ferry. Like FlowerFarm said, it's possible, but I wouldn't count on it. Traffic in PR can be pretty bad. When we visited Vieques a few years ago, we rented mopeds/scooters. I enjoyed the flexibility that they allowed over a car.

9. Re: Ferry from Fajardo to Vieques or Culebra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 10:46