We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it easy to visit the marina in Fajardo?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
109 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Is it easy to visit the marina in Fajardo?

I am taking my brother to Vieques for the first time. He is an avid boater and fisherman (I am not.)

I had originally wanted to take the ferry, so he could see all the boats in the harbor, etc.

But the continued stories about the unreliable ferry have me too worried. It is easier for us to rent a car in San Juan and drive to Ceiba to take the plane.

My question: if we stop by the marina for an hour, can we wander around and look at the boats? Or is everything fenced off? Thanks.

Culebra Day Trip by Catamaran from...
291 reviews
from US$ 113.00*
Special Offer
Old San Juan Sunset Sail
32 reviews
from US$ 66.50*
US$ 95.00
El Yunque Rainforest and BioBay...
123 reviews
from US$ 165.00*
Bioluminescent Bay Kayak Adventure...
25 reviews
from US$ 105.00*
Ann Arbor, Mich.
Level Contributor
450 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it easy to visit the marina in Fajardo?

Well, there are multiple marinas. If you're talking about the ferry docks, then yes, I think you could drive up, get out, and look at the boats. But there's not too much to see, and unless you time it right, the ferries might not even be in port. As for the other larger marinas (Villa Marina, near the ferries, and Puerto del Rey to the south), if I recall, you can drive into the main parking lot, but the actual docks are usually fenced off.

Does anyone else know more details?

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it easy to visit the marina in Fajardo?

There are 3 large marinas in Fajardo propper, plus one on an island on the far side of the harbor and a small one at the El Conquistador hotel. The ferry terminal is not attached to any of these. All of them are gated or guarded. I have driven past and sometimes the gates were open and other times they were attended. Puerto Del Rey is about 4 miles to the south and I haven't been by that marina.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it easy to visit the marina in Fajardo?

All the marinas have guards/gates. Generally you can only walk around the boats if you are visiting someone/ going on a tour with a company that docks there.

4. Re: Is it easy to visit the marina in Fajardo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 09:47