We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biobay without tour?

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Biobay without tour?

Has anyone done the biobay without a tour? We were thinking about just heading out tonight since we are just in fajardo for the night. Any advice?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biobay without tour?

How do you plan to get into the bay? There is no way to just walk to it so see it/do it without a boat/kayak or tour.

Do you have your own kayak? I did it without a tour with my own kayak.

My advice- go with a tour. You can go down tonight and see who has spots open for you to join them if you don't want to make a reservation. I would go on the first trip since the moon is so full/bright later.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
828 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Biobay without tour?

I agree with Flowerfarm. With only a few hours until the sun sets today, I don't see how it would be possible to make all the arrangements to do yourself. You can't walk the boardwalk without being on a tour, so you need a small craft.

Flowerfarm, did you follow the tours with your own kayak or do at a different time on your own, from a different launchpoint? Non peak times might be more pleasant by avoiding crowds, bumping, noise, overturned novices, etc. THANKS.

OE

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biobay without tour?

We launched a little north of the usual kayak entry point (sort of closer to the waterfront restaurant). We tried to go at an off time, after other tours had left to avoid the crowd. Leaving the bay was a bit of a mess, with tours coming and going, no way to avoid it unless you go really late I guess.

We went with friends (the kayak owners) and there were actually DRNA officers there asking if anyone in our group was being charged. They were (and I assume still are) making sure only registered tours go out.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
828 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Biobay without tour?

Thanks for the info Flowerfarm.

I was wondering if it would be possible to cross over from Seven Seas. If one had a very lightweight kayak to portage, maybe could avoid the narrow access ways?

OE

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biobay without tour?

I know where you are talking....it is just a few feet (maybe 40) from the shore to the bay. I can't remember if they have a fence there (since it is open and a driveway like spot). They stop there on their tours. But, it would be crossing private Fidiecomiso property, which they don't like and take trespassing pretty seriously.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
828 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Biobay without tour?

No fence 2 years ago, but I would never trespass private property without special permission. I didn't realize Fidiecomisco was private without possible day access for a fee. There are public city, state, and national parks on the mainland where one has access for a day when paying for the guided tours. Is El Yunke like that at the ranger station?

Gracias,

OE

NY
Level Contributor
212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biobay without tour?

While we're on the subject...

Any recommendations (or would-not-recommend advice) re: which companies to hire for people who are fit and know how to paddle?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Biobay without tour?

OE-You can register for camping at El Yunque and then you can be in the gated sections of the Fed part after dark. But the gates are locked, so you are locked in. They don't like people going on the other trails after dark but I haven't heard of fines or anything. People get lost, it is a problem.

Snuffle- We have always had a wonderful time with Kayaking Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,114 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Biobay without tour?

You are not allowed to go to the Bio Bay unless you have permits. Every Person going to the Bio Bay has to pay a $ 3 fee for the Natural Resource Department. The Guides that work with the legal Companies have to take training with the DNER , without that they are not allow to operate.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Biobay without tour?

Bunny- the only DRNA rules about the biobays pertain to the tour operators only. Private people are allowed to go to any biobay they want without a permit (of course not by via trespassing on private land). I don't want to encourage people to go without a tour, but I think we on TA should supply accurate information if someone asks.

I have acquaintances that run tours and they always told us that. And I just confirmed all the rules while in Vieques, with one of the directors at the Conservation Trust. He works closely with the DRNA on the biobay concession process. If you have something from DRNA that says otherwise, I can send it to him for clarification.