We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fajardo to Culebra...has high speed ferry stopped service?

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
606 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Fajardo to Culebra...has high speed ferry stopped service?

I went to a website that said high speed ferry service is not longer available from Fajardo to Culebra. We are coming in this week and hoping to ferry over on Friday, March 7th. If the high speed is no longer running, what are our options. Also, please provide any websites that may be helpful in getting us to Culebra quickly. Thank you.

Culebra Day Trip by Catamaran from...
291 reviews
from US$ 113.00*
Special Offer
Old San Juan Sunset Sail
32 reviews
from US$ 66.50*
US$ 95.00
Bioluminescent Bay Kayak Adventure...
25 reviews
from US$ 105.00*
El Yunque Rainforest and BioBay...
123 reviews
from US$ 165.00*
Mentor, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fajardo to Culebra...has high speed ferry stopped service?

We were just in PR last week. The ferries were running just fine. We opted to take the airplane ride to Culebra, which is very expensive, but only 25 mins from San Juan. Be prepared to get to the Ferry early, as they do not take reservations, and seats will fill up quickly. If you stay at a resort the concierge will give you all the information you need in getting to Culebra. It is so beautiful there. Def worth the work it takes in getting there.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fajardo to Culebra...has high speed ferry stopped service?

The ferry service to Culebra from Fajardo runs three times per day to the island:

6:30 am, 1:00 pm and 5:30 pm. The trip is approx. 1 hour and 15 each way.

Edited: 05 March 2014, 03:23
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fajardo to Culebra...has high speed ferry stopped service?

The Fast Ferry contract has expired. Now the PR Transportaion Authority will be running their ferries instead. These are much smaller ferries as compared to that nice private company's passenger ferry.

The ATM said today their ferries went on time- I haven't heard from users how it went yet.

The schedule should be the same from Fajardo to Culebra 9am, 3pm and 7pm.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fajardo to Culebra...has high speed ferry stopped service?

The Fast Ferry contract has expired. Now the PR Transportaion Authority will be running their ferries instead. These are much smaller ferries as compared to that nice private company's passenger ferry.

The ATM said today their ferries went on time- I haven't heard from users how it went yet.

The schedule should be the same from Fajardo to Culebra 9am, 3pm and 7pm.

M P
Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
1 post
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fajardo to Culebra...has high speed ferry stopped service?

The people working at the ferry terminals were very rude,

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fajardo to Culebra...has high speed ferry stopped service?

very illuminating MP. was there a long line? were you speaking spanish? were you asking questions and holding up the line as others were waiting behind you to buy tickets? rudeness is relative...

The flights to Culebra from San Juan can be very expensive, it is true. But less expensive from Isla Grande airport, which is a $25 cab ride from SJU.

The fllight from Ceiba airport is less expensive but will cost about $90 to get there, unless you have a rental car and will drive. then it is definitely worth the drive.

the absolute fastest way from the mainland to Culebra(or Vieques) is to fly.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fajardo to Culebra...has high speed ferry stopped service?

We were in Vieques last July and the only way, that I was aware of, to get to Culebra from Vieques was plane or boat...has that changed? It would be so great if the ferry from Vieques to Culebra has resumed. I know there use to be one till about 2005. Or was I totally cluless and there still is a ferry that goes from Vieques to Culebra??

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fajardo to Culebra...has high speed ferry stopped service?

Duh...sorry for some reason I thought I was looking at posts about VIeques to Culebra...since we are on the topic:

We were in Vieques last July and now we are thinking of visiting Vieques and Culebra in one trip. Unless otherwise advised I don’t think we want to spend more than a day or 2 in Culebra. We have from 7-10 days including travel time. Is it difficult to catch a flight to Culebra and back from Vieques (and visa vera)? It might also be fun to sail one way and fly back …or sail both ways. Is this a good idea? If so, can anyone possibly recommend someone who would sail us there? Logistically is it doable without being too complicated? Not sure if we should go to Vieques before or after Culebra…probably Culebra first. Any thoughts on this? Any suggestions? Also any suggestions on a place to stay on Culebra for a night or 2? We are looking for clean, comfortable, breezy and if possible near the reserve. Lots of questions all in one I know, but I've been researching this for weeks and every time I find information it just causes me think of more questions :(

Karen :)

Indianapolis...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Fajardo to Culebra...has high speed ferry stopped service?

Ferries to Culebra and Vieques have suspended due to the non-renewal of contract with the "speed ferry" provider. Little info available but appears that a single cargo ferry is running sporadically and tourists are not allowed to ride. Hoping that this will all be resolved quickly for the sake of those needing transport for work and supplies. And for my family to possibly get over to Culebra next week!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fajardo to Culebra...has high speed ferry stopped service?

The Fast Ferry contract has expired (as mentioned in the original post/answers).

There are ferries running to Culebra and Vieques.

The bigger passenger ferries are broken, but they are using the cargo ferries to transport people. These cargo ferries are just not as big or fast as the passenger ferries, so fewer people are able to get tickets and it takes longer.