We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bio Bay Tour

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
161 reviews
Bio Bay Tour

Is anyone aware of a tour company that allows kids who are 5 (most say 6 and older) to go? We prefer the bay in Fajardo and would love to go in an electric boat and not a kayak. Thanks for any direction.

jgirl317
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Bio Bay Tour

Hi-We just got back from Puerto Rico yesterday. We did the bio bay tour in Fajardo with Bio Island. www.bioislandpr.com/

IT WAS GREAT! It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Captain Jeff and his dad, Carlos did a great job of narrating and explaining why to bay glows. They pointed out all sorts of wildlife as we cruised through the mangrove passing the kayakers who didn't look like they were enjoying themselves as mush as we were.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,918 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Bio Bay Tour

Yes, Bio Island is an electric boat and they have child life jackets and will take kids under 6 years old.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
161 reviews
3. Re: Bio Bay Tour

Thanks jgirl and Flowerfarm. Exactly what we're after!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Bio Bay Tour

This is just my opinion.. Why go on an electric boat ride in the Fajardo bio bay when it is not the brightest in the world and you can't swim in it?

I recommend East Island excursions, they are the only bio bay tour company that will pick you up from your hotel, bring you to fajardo, take you to Vieques on a catamaran, includes dinner, bio bay in the brightest bay in the world, on an electric boat, and you can swim in the water. Be sure not to wear bug repellent with DEET it kills the micro organisms, buy natural bug repellent. For a few extra dollars you get a better deal.

Have fun!

Edited: 13 February 2011, 08:53
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Bio Bay Tour

just something to think about.,...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
119 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: Bio Bay Tour

My wife called this past weekend to make a reservation with a guide on Vieques and she was told that swimming in the Vieques bio bay is no longer allowed.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,918 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Bio Bay Tour

This is news to me....I think there may have been some confusion.

Our guests just did it last week.... and I haven't seen/heard anything and believe me that would be BIG news around here!

I suggest you try again.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Bio Bay Tour

YES that sure is news! I live to talk about Vieques, I would've def. read it somewhere on a newspaper and someone from VQS would have called me. I agree, try again! Trying calling ISland Adventures or Blue Caribe Kayaks

Edited: 15 February 2011, 04:07
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
119 posts
36 reviews
9. Re: Bio Bay Tour

My wife says she will call some other places this weekend to confirm what she was told by Nestor at Travesias Isleñas Yaureibo. She spoke with him this past weekend and I am only relaying what she told me. She just confirmed it with me a few moments ago. However, she said she would call a few other places to confirm what Nestor told her.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: Bio Bay Tour

A trip on East Island is great for older kids, but not a 5 year old. It's just to late for them. The boat gets back to Fajardo about 10:30 pm.

Get answers to your questions about Fajardo