We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lah-Own Beach Resort

Greater Manchester
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Lah-Own Beach Resort

We are going to Lah-Own Beach Resort in February which we booked directly with the owner as it can't be booked through an agent I am trying to locate it on a map of the area but I am not sure exactly where it is. I thought it was Khao Lak but TA says it is in Takua Pa. Can anyone please advise and also tell me which hotels are nearby so that I can get a bearing on the area and try to locate good local restaurants. You may wonder why we are going somewhere but don't know where it is! A friend visited the area last year and went to look at Lah-Own. He was impressed and booked it for Christmas and recommended it to us.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Takua Pa
Takua Pa
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
#1 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Haadson Resort
Haadson Resort
#22 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Bangsak Merlin Resort
Bangsak Merlin Resort
#29 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
15 replies to this topic
Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Lah-Own Beach Resort

TA is currently referring to Khao Lak as Takua Pa, NorthwestGirl. Please don't be put off by this. Lah-Own Beach Resort is located in Khao Lak between the towns of Bang La On/Nang Thong Beach and Bang Niang.

Here's a map showing it:

…photobucket.com/albums/g474/L0S1/lah.gif

This map will show most of the other resorts nearby.

You can read about restaurants on these threads:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g612391-i10908-k…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g612391-i10908-k44…

Edited: 25 September 2011, 05:18
Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Takua Pa
Takua Pa
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lah-Own Beach Resort

This photo was taken looking north from Nang Thong Beach towards Bang Niang. It was taken during the Green Season, so Lah-Own Resort was closed, hence the green shadecloth shielding the beach approach.

i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g474/L0S1/lo.jpg

The resort is right on the beach, with the resort restaurant and pool pretty well adjacent to the sand. Please note that the long piece of green shadecloth protects the pool area while the small piece immediately north is protecting the resort's own restaurant. There is easy access to the small Thai restaurants along the beach to the north of the resort. Sadly for us, these restaurants aren't open during the Green Season.

Mentioned in this post
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,410 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lah-Own Beach Resort

Sorry for the confusion created by TA's temporary relocation of Khao Lak but as Mrs J says rest assured this lovely little new resort is in Khao Lak.

See some pics here of the Lah-Own at its location on Nang Thong beach and others of that beach further along where it is just down the road from Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak where most of the restaurants, bars and shops are located.

https:/…

Just to the the left on the beach is a lovely small, sheltered bay with a nice restaurant and bar and to the right a series of restaurants, bars and massage places which will be open all day in February. Walk beyond those and you cross over onto Bang Niang Beach where there ate even more on the beach and in Bang Niang itself.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lah-Own Beach Resort

Arandora, just a curiosity:

is there in Khao Lak any place/city/village actually called Khao Lak? :-) :-)

that may explain the unexpected change of name!

Last year in Vietnam there were some situations similar to this mess but in every case it was a small village that gave the name of the tourist place and geographically was not even marked on standard map....

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Greater Manchester
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lah-Own Beach Resort

To Mrs J Hyde and Arandora, thank you both so much for the map, the restaurant references, the photos and all the other information. You have both been very helpful and I feel much more clued up now.

Only 21 weeks to go...

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,410 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lah-Own Beach Resort

NorthwestGirl,

You are very welcome and I'm sure Mrs J will join me (when she gets up Down Under) wishing you a great holiday. You've picked a great resort, in a great destination in one of best periods for weather.

Maurizio,

Khao Lak is an established tourist destination recognised throughout Thailand, in Guide Books, hotel listings etc. which comprises several local townships but it does not fall in with TA's "one size fits all" method for automated geographical addressing based on ZIP codes. THAT is what caused the problem and that I hope is what TA has acknowledged by promising to revert to the previous situation.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lah-Own Beach Resort

Your friend has done you proper proud, NorthwestGirl. Being located on the beach is fantastic and having the little beach restaurants right next door is a real winner.

Don't worry, 21 weeks will pass in a flash - we've got 37 to go but who's counting?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
113 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lah-Own Beach Resort

Hello mrs_j_hyde and arandora

I just came across this resort on the khaolak.de website and am very interested in booking their beachfront bungalows. On the map, it looks like it's located right between Bang Niang Beach and Nang Thong Beach. What's the beach here like, is it isolated? Do you know how far the resort is from Bang Niang town and Bang La On town - how far is it to walk, or is it easier to take a cab? It looks like there are many restaurants and massage huts nearby, but are there any supermarkets or convenience stores in the vicinity? Appreciate your help on my many many questions!

Arandora: you had given me a lot of helpful info on the other thread I started on "Ramada or Chong Fah". But I am still very keen on beachfront accom and Lah Own looks lovely and cosy and much more affordable! And it'd be great to support a local business as well :)

Mentioned in this post
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,410 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lah-Own Beach Resort

It is located towards the northern end of Nang thong Beach a few hundred metres before the creek that separates it from Bang Niang Beach. It is probably a 10-15 minute walk to the highway where it brings you out opposite the Everyday lazy House Bar. Turn right and you are a similar walk into the centre of Bang La On, turn left and its about 20 minutes walk to Bang Niang.

Of course, you can walk to both Bang La On and Bang Niang on the beach but not recommended in the dark.

In the Dry Season turn right along the beach and there are many (well a dozen or so, which is many for Khao Lak) beach restaurants, bars and massage places.

There are no shops or mini-marts in the immediate vicinity.

I think it is a super little resort.

Mentioned in this post
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
113 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lah-Own Beach Resort

I think I'm sold! Will send them an email and hopefully the beach bungalows are still available. Many thanks!

Reply to: Lah-Own Beach Resort
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Takua Pa