We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Khao Lak?

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Khao Lak?

Hi Linda,

Welcome to the Takua Pa Forum, the temporary resting place for the Khao Lak Forum which we all hope will return to its rightful place later this week.

In order to give you some appropriate suggestions could you tell us when you are thinking of coming to Khao Lak please and your daily budget for accommodation?

Accommodation rates are very much influenced by the Season with rates in the Wet (Low) Season, running from May (but usually available from mid-April) to end of October, often being half or even less those in the Dry (High Season) with Peak Season from end of December to early January being Peak Season.

I would point you to the wealth of information in the Top Questions and FAQs on the right but like me they are at the moment noticeable by their absence.

It would be helpful if you could start a new topic for your reply so we can keep this one for those who like you have had difficulty recently finding the Khao Lak Forum.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for your reply. We are looking at September next year so it is the low season. I usually book with qantas and on a lot of the hotels I can get a pay 4 get 4 free deal. They seem to have most hotels covered. They all appear to be in our budget and cheaper than Phuket. It is more about location regarding proximity to restaurants. We don't like being held captive in a hotel but we like around 4 star. We are prepared to put up with some rain in the off season as it is not cold. We really like paying for 4 and getting 4 free.

Cheers

Linda

Mentioned in this post
Takua Pa
Takua Pa
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
9 replies to this topic
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,399 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Khao Lak?

Hi Linda,

Other than the Qantas deal you mention and perhaps odd ones that come up under individual resorts I'm not aware of specifically any BOGOF (Buy One Get One Free) offers, particularly in September when rates are usually less than half High Season rates anyway.

The two main townships of Khao Lak are Bang La On with accommodation down on Nang Thong Beach if you want beachfront or near beach front with others on either side of the highway that runs the full length of Khao Lak. This area has most restaurants, shops and bars that remain open in the Wet Season.

Accommodation to consider:

Nang Thong Bay Resorts 1 and 2 - bungalow resorts under the same ownership that receive consistently good reviews, especially from fellow Aussies who rate it highly for value and location particularly in the Wet Season

Laguna Resort - particularly beachfront bungalows

Baan Khao Lak - partic beach front bungalows

The other township is Bang Niang where most resorts are on or near the beach and though quieter at this time than Bang la On still has plenty of restaurants, bars and shops that remain open.

Accommodation to consider:

Ramada - excellent 4* resort directly on best part of Bang Niang Beach with easy access to restaurants, bars and shops. Usually great rates in Wet Season by booking early direct with resort.

La Flora - 4* next door to Ramada

FX Resort - excellent value 3* resort, just back from the beach

Riverside Resort - new 3* resort next door to Ramada set back up the creek from the ocean

Other areas:

Khao Lak (South) Beach is the first one you reach coming from Phuket before you go over to Bang la On about 10 minutes away by shuttle or taxi. There are just a handful of resorts along a lovely promenade separating them from the beach with a few restaurants in the vicinity. Merlin Resort, particularly pool access rooms, is highly regarded.

See this link for a full list of accommodation in Khao Lak www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm

See this for map showing all locations http://www.khaolakmap.com/

Information on Khao Lak including accommodation and maps at http://www.khaolaklovers.com/

and http://khaolak.de/khaolakbeach/home.htm

and http://khaolak.com/

Come back for more help when you have had chance to digest all this.

Regards

Alan

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
La Flora Resort & Spa
La Flora Resort & Spa
1,134 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,848 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Khao Lak?

Hi Linda,

The BYGOF are great offers I have booked this in the past but mainly through a travel agent . As Alan has mentioned some hotels do have great rates many having special promotions and offers in the low season. If wanting close proximity to good choices of restaurants in walking distance Bang La On and Bang Niang would be my choice to base myself.

Chong Fah Resort www.chongfahresort.com is also highly recommended in Bang Niang.

This link will take you to some photographs of the FX Resort behind the Chong Fah and near to the Ramada in Bang Niang. It will also give you access to the top questions and FAQ secion which is missing on this new forum on the top right hand side.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g612391-i10908-k…

Julie

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Khao Lak?

Hi Linda,

just be a bit wary of the supposed offers on the qantas website

their actual price including the" bygyf "is by no means cheaper than many other websites, and the number of hotels is minimal..

plus their airfares are not cheap.

considering you have lots of time before you go, i would keep an eye out for a good airfare { i just recently booked for travel in april 2012 for $597 return with malaysian, with minimal in transit time }.

there will be heaps of great deals, so get your flight booked and do a bit of hotel web surfing a month or so before you go.

there also seem to be a lot of offers from coupon websites in australia for thailand including khao lak, that might be worth keeping a watch on.

travelzoo is also an excellent site for some great deals...

can vouch for that.....

happy planning,

Procol.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Khao Lak?

"bogof "

can't type to save myself, sorry..

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Khao Lak?

Makes two of us Lol

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Khao Lak?

Thanks everyone. I have been looking at Ramada, La Flora and Marriot. The Merlin seems a bit out on it's own? There was what I thought a good coupon deal at Ramada but when I looked into it I could book it for much cheaper thru the qantas holidays. What I usually do is wait for a good price on the air ticket and grab that. Then while I wait for that I research the hotels so I have a pretty good idea of where we would like to stay. Last year we flew direct with virgin but they don't do that any more. Stategic fly direct so I am keeping an eye on them. I think jetstar do too. We fly out of Melb. When I am ready to book I compare all the sites. Qantas usually comes out in front because of the free nights offer. If you plan correctly you can get 8 or 10 nights for the same price as 7 or 9. You can just book hotels with them you don't have to book the flight. When i last booked with a travel agent he used them as the wholesaler as he said they were the cheapest. Since then I just look it up myself. They are limited in the hotel they offer though. Thanks for the links I will spend a bit of time on those. I wanted the faqs back to check on taxis from airport etc.

Linda

Mentioned in this post
La Flora Resort & Spa
La Flora Resort & Spa
1,134 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Khao Lak?

Linda

I would wait for the "Green Season" deals for next year.

We visited this year in late April/May & obtained an outstanding value deal at the Ramada, including transport to & from Phuket airport.

It was pretty quiet, but didnt worry us that much!

We didnt book until about March 2011, when the great deal was offered.

Most people use Boss taxis if you cant obtain a package deal.

We also went Strategic, but not sure we would use them again, considering more recent developments.

The direct flight is the attraction.

Cheers

Specz

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Khao Lak?

Thanks. I won't be booking it in a hurry. Just researching for now.

Linda

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Khao Lak?

Hi Linda

Taxi Boss Email: cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com

Local Mobile: 085 7861378

Reply to: Where to stay in Khao Lak?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted