We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gala safari

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
gala safari

We have booked a safari in July and staying in hikkadwa can anyone tell me how long it takes to get there we have booked a taxi for 6am is that early enough I think safari starts at 12.0clock midday we r staying 3 notes 4 days thanks

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
395 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gala safari

Hi Linda I am sure the experts will answer this a bit better than I can, but normally the safari is either 6am till 9am of 3pm till 6pm as much too hot normally during the day to see much wildlife, I have done both times and prefer the later as got to see more animals as they come out from the heat to drink also got to see the leopards on the later safari.

As for journey time I went the 1st time from Unawatuna so quiet near Hikkawadua and it took around 3/4 hours along the Martara road if I remember correctly and this was with a car and driver .

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,990 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gala safari

Can't in any useful way do this as a day trip, sorry. It's about 5 hours one way from Hikka and if you want afternoon safari, that'll start 3 PM and finish by 6. Being back in Hikka by 11 PM, plus time for a dinner break, is not most people's way of holidaying. Hence do yourself a pleasure and make it a 2-day trip with overnight in Tissa near Yala.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gala safari

Thanks we are going for 3nites and 4days at yala then back to hikka so we should b there in time happy new year

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gala safari

Thanks we should get there in time for the afternoon safari and as we r staying. For 4 days we won't b 2tired as we've allowed 6hours to get there happy new year

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,990 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gala safari

Yes that clarifies, thanks. Any safari will cost you around Rs 6,000 for 2 persons entry price and Rs 5,000 jeep hire for half a day, so be careful what you plan otherwise it'll cost you an arm and a leg!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gala safari

Thanks for iinfo hope u had good new year

7. Re: gala safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2016, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Yala National Park