We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heritage Awali - general questions...

London, United...
3 posts
Heritage Awali - general questions...

Hello

We are staying at the Awali for 10 nights at the beginning of May for our honeymoon and just have a few questions we can't seem to find answers to....

What spa treatments are now included in the All Inclusive package and do these need to be booked in advance?

What drinks are included during the day (not with meals in a restaurant)?

What golf is included in the AI package? Are there hidden extras i.e. for the golf cart?

I have read about getting one night's meal at Le Chateau de Bel Ombre - is that included and how far in advance does this need to be booked?

I am trying to find a trip to swim with dolphins in the wild and wondered if anyone had any specific trips they woudl receommend and whether we can book that before we go?

Are there any other trips/excursions that you would recommend?

One last question - how is the best way to get around the island - what can we expect to pay to hire a taxi for the day and does anyone have any information about bus travel?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give, I know there are a lot of questions but I just want to make sure we are prepared!

Cleckheaton, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Heritage Awali - general questions...

Just got back from the Awali today after 10 nights. I can answer some of your questions.

Spa Treatments - you get 1 spa treatment each on the Premium AI package, either a massage (only the 45 min massages), a facial or a body scrub/wrap. I had a facial, my OH had a back massage, both were excellent.

I can't list the included drinks as there are far too many. It includes most drinks (not premium spirits) & various cocktails. Just ask for the menu which clearly shows what you can & can't have.

Golf - apparently you get a green fee paid per day on the 18 hole or the 9 hole pitch & putt. Caddies, golf carts are not compulsory. This may be a little vague as we don't play golf.

Yes you can have a meal at Le Chateaux but book as soon as you get there. We arrived on the 19th Jan & couldn't get in until the 27th. Same for the Seven Colours & Gin Ja's at Le Telfair (which was excellent). All menus at the restaurants clearly show what is included on your package.

Dolphins - there's a guy that walks round the beach selling boat trips to swim with dolphins (he wears red shorts & a white t-shirt with "dolphin swimming" printed on the back). He told me that if you didn't see any then he wouldn't charge you but we didn't go so can't advise re costs. He has the red & white boats moored just off shore (to match his clothes).

We did visit Casela which we would definitely recommend. It is a nature park (approx an hour away) and you can do as little or as much as you like. We "walked with the lions" which was an amazing experience. Not cheap but unique. We booked through the hotel reception.

We think the taxi prices are approx £10 an hour but as we only visited Casela can only go on this. I did hear that the buses are unreliable, they have them but they don't run to any sort of timetable. The taxis park on some scrubland just up the road from the hotel but can also be arranged through reception.

If you need anymore info do not hesitate to contact me. Hope you have a fab time, we did.

Milton Keynes...
3 posts
2. Re: Heritage Awali - general questions...

This year the AI packages both include one free round of golf on the 18 hole course per day and unlimited use of the short course. The golf carts are not cheap. We paid 3,600 rupees (c £80) for a cart and the hire of one set of clubs. From memory the cart alone was not far short of £50. The course is walkable but in the heat it's a fair old slog. Course was in immaculate condition (got back 5 days ago btw).. One great change is that you can have your lunch at the golf club on the AI deal with about half the menu being available.

Previous reply has answered most of the other questions well. according to the 'official awali handout the only drinks not included in the Ai at the Awali were whiskies over 12 years old! Not a spirits man myself but I know one guest insisted on having Gordons Gin instead of the local version and got it! If you are out of the Awali (at Le Telfair, C Beach club, golf clubhouse) then drinks on AI are only with meals. Also I think some of the champagne will only be available at the Awali and not when eating outside. It's all very well explained when you are there.

You can also book Dolphin swimming trips through the hotel but not sure whether it's any more expensive than from the red/white beach vendor (is it still Paolo (Sp)?)

One thing is for sure you are going to have a great time.

3. Re: Heritage Awali - general questions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2013, 17:23
Gloucester, United...
1 post
1 review
4. Re: Heritage Awali - general questions...

Hi,

We are also due to honeymoon here at the start of May.

Travel agents yesterday suggested to us that we might be better off taking US Dollars rather than the local currency. Has anyone got any experience of this, and what would you suggest?

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
729 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: Heritage Awali - general questions...

Hi

Definitely take Mauritian rupee and not us dollars.

Rgds

Poppy

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
219 reviews
6. Re: Heritage Awali - general questions...

Your travel agent is very wrong. US Dollars are useless, certainly not worth changing £sterling into USdollars only to have to change them for Mauritian Rupees. Not worth getting Euros either unless you have some left from another holiday, again they need to be changed to the rupee.

We take sterling only. Best rates are in the arrivals hall at the airport. Much better than anything you will get in UK and all commission free. You can change further sterling at Shibani and Thomas Cook once on holiday as and when you need to..

Mazza :-)

London, United...
3 posts
7. Re: Heritage Awali - general questions...

Thank you so much everyone for all your helpful replies.

Graeme - no we haven't been told anything about taking USD and from the comments above I guess that it's not general advice!

I will definitely email the hotel as a list would be really useful - thank you.

Getting very excited now :)

London, United...
1 post
1 review
8. Re: Heritage Awali - general questions...

One more question...

Can you use the other facilities at Le Telfair, or is it just the restaurants?

London, United...
Level Contributor
729 posts
95 reviews
9. Re: Heritage Awali - general questions...

You can use the spa and c beach club.

You can drink in the bars but this is not part of your all inclusive.

Alsager, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
56 reviews
10. Re: Heritage Awali - general questions...

I also go there this Sept can't wait as the ai package sounds amazing. Little confused about the first post that suggests there are 2 ai packages our travel agent mentioned nothing regarding this or we would have taken the higher option is this the case?

Get answers to your questions about Bel Ombre