We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desert Pearl Inn vs Cable Mountain Lodge

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Desert Pearl Inn vs Cable Mountain Lodge

These two hotels are in our final running for a family stay next April.

They both seem quite similar in style, and the prices are coming in very, very close. They look on the map like they are right next to each other.

Can anyone give us any additional details that might help us to decide between the two?

We are a family of 4 (boys ages 15 & 12 1/2 by that time). We will be there over Easter weekend 2010 (so I'm guessing too early for the pool.....does only Desert Pearl have a hot tub).

I'm not sure how much use we would get out of a balcony due to the time of year.

We would want to river front rooms for the view and the quiet.

I'm getting a bit of a vibe from the website that maybe Cable Mountain is more of a couples resort than a family place, but I'm not sure if I'm right with that. (not that my kids care if there are other teens, but I don't want a place where they're getting stink-eye for climbing on the rocks around the river).

Are the options for breakfast better at one than the other? (we're talking teen boys here!)

How about the kitchenettes in the room?

Help us!

At Bryce we will be staying in the park at the lodge, and at the GC we will probably be doing the overnight mule ride into the canyon, so this would be our "spot of luxury".

Thanks everyone, this forum has been wonderfully helpful already!

Mentioned in this post
Desert Pearl Inn
Desert Pearl Inn
2,778 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Cable Mountain Lodge
Cable Mountain Lodge
1,254 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,424 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Desert Pearl Inn vs Cable Mountain Lodge

Desert Pearl is surprisingly luxurious. Kitchenettes include a full range so you can prepare complete meals if you have the food.

Mentioned in this post
Desert Pearl Inn
Desert Pearl Inn
2,778 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Desert Pearl Inn vs Cable Mountain Lodge

Hmmmmm, that would be a huge $$$ advantage if we could make a good breakfast (eggs, etc) and pack sandwiches for lunch.

Miami
Level Contributor
306 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Desert Pearl Inn vs Cable Mountain Lodge

We stayed at Desert Pearl this August. Ask for a river view room! Awesome property. The place was absolutely beautiful. the staff was great. Perfect location, too. Stay there. We took a one bedroom. It was new and had a new granite kitchen, wood loors and two luxurious baths. master had a jacuzzi and a separate great shower. Also a bidet. Wife loved the room.

Rent water shoes and a stick from Zion Adventures. Really makes it great to wade thru the water. Also, buy a waterproof bag fro you camera. I walked one foot from shore and disappeard up to my shoulders. this was the only deep area.

Everything else was no higher than waist high. The water killed my digital camera, which I was holding to take a shot of our friends. Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Desert Pearl Inn
Desert Pearl Inn
2,778 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Desert Pearl Inn vs Cable Mountain Lodge

Thanks for the thoughts!

What temperature might the river be the first week of April? I'm so intrigued by The Narrows.....but suspect it would probably be renamed "Hypothermia Central" at that time of year.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,777 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Desert Pearl Inn vs Cable Mountain Lodge

Cable Mountain does not have riverfront rooms,although some face the river.There is a parking lot between the hotel and the river.The pool is next to the parking lot.Just about every hotel in town (if not all)have a pool and hottub.

Desert Pearl has rooms next to the river,just across a lawn.

The pool is set below grade from the road,so what you see is trees and stonework.

The hotels are not next to each other,but just down the street.Cable Mtn is right next to the pedestrian entrance to the park.Its about a 30 second walk.

The Pearl is just down the street,maybe a quarter mile.

Cable is just over a year old,I got a tour when they were completing construction.Its very nice.I plan to stay there soon.

You will use the balcony also.Does not matter what time of year it is.The views are too good to pass up.

I have stayed at the Pearl probably 20 times.Its very nice.

As for the temperature of the water in April,it should be 45-50 degrees.But,you may or may not be able to do the Narrows at that time.It totally depends on runoff.

I was there last year March 27 and it was doable.A couple weeks later,they opened the river up for whitewater kayaking. So have a back up plan for another hike.There are many great ones.

Mentioned in this post
Cable Mountain Lodge
Cable Mountain Lodge
1,254 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Desert Pearl Inn
Desert Pearl Inn
2,778 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Desert Pearl Inn vs Cable Mountain Lodge

45 to 50 degrees? EYOW! We will stay out of the water! :)

Another question.....even being able to walk in the entrance from the Pearl, we would still need a car or to take the shuttle, right? Because obviously we can't walk around the whole park?

Or do we catch the shuttle right inside the park so the Pearl would be closer to catch the shuttle?)

Would being at the Pearl put us closer to some of those trailheads that we could WALK to (Emerald Pools, etc?)

Is the park entrance road (from Cable Mountain) one that would be OK to walk down without being run over by RV's or tripping over broken mufflers on the shoulder?

Mentioned in this post
Emerald Pools
Emerald Pools
1,399 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Cable Mountain Lodge
Cable Mountain Lodge
1,254 Reviews
Springdale, UT
TN
Level Contributor
528 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Desert Pearl Inn vs Cable Mountain Lodge

There is a town shuttle that stops in front of the Pearl. It takes you to the Zion entrance where you catch a park shuttle. The Cable Mountain Resort is next to where you catch the park shuttle.

Mentioned in this post
Cable Mountain Lodge
Cable Mountain Lodge
1,254 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,777 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Desert Pearl Inn vs Cable Mountain Lodge

When the water is that cold,you can rent a drysuit and rivershoes at Zion Adventures.You will be nice and warm.

www.zionadventures.com

You really don't need your car at all once you check into your hotel(unless you want to drive thru the tunnel or see sections of the park that are miles away.)As previously stated,the in town shuttle stops right in front of the Desert Pearl.Drops you at the pedestrian entrance to the park,which is just across from Cable Mtn.Then you walk down the sidewalk to the visitor center and in-park shuttle.Really no need to walk on any roads at all or deal with any vehicle traffic.The trailheads are a few miles up the canyon,and the shuttle stops at each one.

Mentioned in this post
Desert Pearl Inn
Desert Pearl Inn
2,778 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,335 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Desert Pearl Inn vs Cable Mountain Lodge

There are a couple trails you might walk to from the Visitors Center...Pa'rus and Watchman.

Be sure to check out the website for the park : http://www.nps.gov/zion/

and look at the main map. It has the main trails marked

You can also check out the park guides to see what ranger programs might be happening and up to date info on the shuttle schedule etc.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,469 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Desert Pearl Inn vs Cable Mountain Lodge

Desert Pearl has beautiful 2-bedroom suites that would be less expensive than 2 room for you rfamily.

As for the Narrows, you are not in the water all the time; and even when you are it is generally less than knee-deep. In a few places it will be thigh-high, but iof you get the drysuit the cold temps won't bother you.

Check out the information on the Zion Adventure Comapny website:

www.zionadventures.com/index.php…

It really is a wonderful experience, and lots of fun.

Mentioned in this post
Desert Pearl Inn
Desert Pearl Inn
2,778 Reviews
Springdale, UT
The Narrows
The Narrows
2,870 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
;