We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go after Yosemite and before flying from Sacramento

Annapolis
Level Contributor
131 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go after Yosemite and before flying from Sacramento

We are a couple in our mid 50's who love to hike and enjoy the beauty of the natural world. After a business trip to Sacramento, we will be spending 3 days in Yosemite (April 14-17). We want to go somewhere else for Friday night. Saturday night we will stay in Sacramento because we have an early flight out. I am looking at Tahoe and Reno but I would also consider small towns or anything unique. We are not gamblers and I don't see us skiing on this trip since we would have limited time.

I would love to hear suggestions of what others would recommend. I would love to hear activity recommendation for mid-April in that area also.

Mentioned in this post
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
Reno
Reno
Nevada
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,285 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go after Yosemite and before flying from Sacramento

Hi

As this is the Yosemite forum, I'll say that it's a great idea to stay in Yosemite. If you want ideas that aren't Yosemite, maybe the California forum might be a good place to explore options.

Check out Hwy 49 / Gold Rush country.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,327 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go after Yosemite and before flying from Sacramento

Yes hwy 49 north, maybe stay at Grass Valley or Nevada City. Lake Tahoe (north side) is also a possibility if you want to drive further.

Mentioned in this post
Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,423 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go after Yosemite and before flying from Sacramento

It sounds like you would enjoy North Lake Tahoe.

Edited: 16 March 2015, 03:05
Mentioned in this post
Coloma, California
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go after Yosemite and before flying from Sacramento

If I understand your itinerary you are leaving Yosemite and heading towards Sacramento for your flight.

If that is correct I wouldn't go as far as the northern motherload which is north of Auburn, namely Nevada City and Grass Valley, but do go to The area around Sutter Creek and visit Angels Camp, Mok Hill, Colombia Historic Park, Sonora, etc.

In my opinion the best place to stay is Sutter Creek which has some nice b and he's. Drive north from there the next day and stop in Placerville and from there pick up highway 50 to Sacramento which is about an hour drive.

Mentioned in this post
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
Auburn
Auburn
Placer County, CA
Nevada City
Nevada City
California
Grass Valley
Grass Valley
California
Angels Camp
Angels Camp
Calaveras County, CA
Sonora
Sonora
California
Placerville
Placerville
California
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,342 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go after Yosemite and before flying from Sacramento

Murphys is an interesting old gold rush town off the main highway. It has a number of lively winery tasting rooms and good restaurants. It was featured on the Gordon Ramsey TV show, "Hotel Hell".

http://www.fox.com/hotel-hell

Mentioned in this post
Murphys
Murphys
Calaveras County, CA
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,495 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go after Yosemite and before flying from Sacramento

Gold Country would be perfect -- small towns, history, nature. I really enjoyed a stay at Hanford House in Sutter Creek a few years ago, located within walking distance of restaurants and with the charm of a B&B but the privacy of a small hotel.

Edited: 16 March 2015, 09:24
Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go after Yosemite and before flying from Sacramento

~~"... love to hike and enjoy the beauty of the natural world."~~~ You might consider a combination mother lode, big trees hike combination. Hwy 49 is a beautiful drive in April. The wild flowers with California poppies should still be out and the charm of the towns along the way make many fun stops. You might consider a stop at Ironstone winery at Murphy's.? When you get to Angels Camp take Hwy 4 east where you might be interested in a short hike at the Calaveras Big Trees state park. It is worth the short detour. Arnold is a fun town also. Or you could head to Lake Tahoe, stay at the south shore and then the next morning take Hwy 89 along the west shore . Emerald Bay is beautiful!!! This road will take you to I-80 and on the way to Sacramento....... so many choices!

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Angels Camp
Angels Camp
Calaveras County, CA
Calaveras Big Trees State Park
Calaveras Big Trees...
445 Reviews
California
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
8. Re: Where to go after Yosemite and before flying from Sacramento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2016, 10:46