We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mariposa/Merced/Tuolomne Groves

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Mariposa/Merced/Tuolomne Groves

Hi

I was posting on the SF forum about where to see Redwoods along Highway 1 South of SF because of the Mariposa Grove being closed when we pass through in June.

PacificNWfamily said to post on here as there might potentially be some good news about Mariposa? I had read on the NPS site that it was ever so slightly possible the upper grove might be open when we come?

Is there other news?

Cheers:-)

Mentioned in this post
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mariposa/Merced/Tuolomne Groves

This page from the NPS seems to have contradictory info on it

nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/mariposagrove.htm

It says closures starting in "approximately" June OR July in the text but the map showing the closures says July 2015....is there anyone 'in the know' who knows what the current start date is?

It says the outer loop/upper grove will be accessible after the closures but only via hike or horseback from Wawona so that's makes it no good for us.

Mentioned in this post
Wawona
Wawona
Yosemite National Park, CA
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mariposa/Merced/Tuolomne Groves

Not "contradictory," but one is more specific. Dates can change, of course (e.g., depending on weather and work progress). Check the Web site and, if necessary, phone the park when your travel date is closer.

Edited: 07 February 2015, 18:16
Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mariposa/Merced/Tuolomne Groves

Depending on your route to/from Yosemite, you could consider visiting either the Calaveras Big Trees State Park north of Yosemite, the small Nelder Grove just south of Yosemite, the Grant Grove in Kings Canyon National Park or the Giant Forest area of Sequoia National Park. Any of these would require extra driving, but not too much if they are on or close to your route to/from Yosemite. The General Sherman at Sequoia NP is the largest tree in the world by volume, and the General Grant at Kings Canyon NP is the third largest.

Those groves have the giant sequoia trees. The redwoods in the coastal areas north and south of San Francisco are a different, though closely related, species. Coast redwoods tend to be narrower and taller than the giant sequoias, on average. If you want to see coast redwoods as well, you could see them at Muir Woods National Monument, Avenue of the Giants, Redwood National Park or any of the state parks listed on this page: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24723

Mentioned in this post
Nelder Grove
Nelder Grove
166 Reviews
Madera, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Muir Woods National Monument
Muir Woods National...
6,070 Reviews
Mill Valley, CA
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mariposa/Merced/Tuolomne Groves

Well if it's July then we will be able to visit the grove (as per website map) but if it's June then we won't (as per website text) so what I was wondering was if there was anyone who knew for sure - I guessed there might be local gossip or something...

Unfortunately those other groves you suggested either aren't on our route or we don't have time for the detour (395/Tioga in and the 41 out to Cayucos/Cambria). The only ones we'd be able to visit if Mariposa is closed are Merced/Tuolomne and we will visit Henry Cowell for the coastal redwoods.

I will of course be checking out info closer to the date but it's good to be able to plan (it's an 18 day road trip and we only have 2 nights in Yosemite) where possible. If the grove is going to be open we would think about adding an extra day there so the sooner we know the better. There's a lot of balls to juggle on the trip. PacifcNWFamily hinted on another forum that there might be good news hence the reason for my posting.

Edited: 07 February 2015, 19:45
Mentioned in this post
Cayucos
Cayucos
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Cambria
Cambria
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Merced
Merced
California
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,260 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mariposa/Merced/Tuolomne Groves

Good morning!

You found the good news. The original planned closure date was May/June. Now it's June/July. So I think you have a really good chance of being able to visit Mariposa Grove. Of course it will be a detour from your short Valley-centric visit, but it's worth the drive if you're really keen on seeing Big Trees.

If it's closed, then an early early morning visit to Tuolumne Grove makes sense. You mentioned Merced Grove in your other thread, but it's very small. Both of these groves will probably be crowded this summer after Mariposa Grove closes, but Tuolumne Grove has more parking and more trees.

The only way I've ever accessed the Upper Grove of Mariposa Grove is via a long trail from Wawona (or a turnout-trailhead on Wawona Road.) So if you can't use the Lower Grove at all, the hike would be something like 6 miles through the forest (no views) to the Upper Grove, a mile of walking around, and 6 miles back. I read that the NPS was considering allowing this just in winter 2015/16, but not in summer. Sometimes plans change and maybe this is a consideration.

>>However, the park will re-evaluate the closure as restoration work progresses. Temporary access to Grove may be possible if it safe to do so.<< nps.gov/yose/…mariposagroveimplementation.pdf

We'll all keep checking to see if the NPS comes up with a specific closure date for Mariposa Grove.

Mentioned in this post
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Merced Grove
Merced Grove
97 Reviews
Wawona
Wawona
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mariposa/Merced/Tuolomne Groves

Yes! Just before I read this I found an old trip advisor post with an old link saying May/June so realised the date had slipped (and may slip further).

Thanks for the info about Tuolomne grove - most of the photos and videos I could find about it were of the dead tunnel tree so I was a bit concerned that that was the main attraction there but if there are more there than Merced we will definitely do that. Hopefully on the drive in over Tioga?

If the Mariposa grove is open we will probably do that in the morning and then just a couple of small tourist-centric sites in the Valley in the afternoon. We were considering panaroma trail from glacier point down but that's a full day and if the Grove is open we will want to do that. We had originally booked three nights at yosemite (curry village) but cut it down to two nights based on the earlier info so less time to fit the grove in now if it does open. And it looks like it will be :-)

Mentioned in this post
Merced
Merced
California
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mariposa/Merced/Tuolomne Groves

Since you are leaving Yosemite on Highway 41, the Nelder Grove would be only 4 miles (6.4 km) off your route, and you can drive right to it. The whole side trip could only take up 1 hour. yosemitehikes.com/not-yosemite/nelder-grove/…

Mentioned in this post
Nelder Grove
Nelder Grove
166 Reviews
Madera, CA
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,260 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mariposa/Merced/Tuolomne Groves

My guess is that Tuolumne Grove will be packed on the afternoon of your arrival. Whichever grove you choose to visit, I think it makes the most sense to visit on the morning of your departure for SF. That leaves you with a full day in Yosemite Valley & Glacier Point. The Panorama Trail might be perfect; get reservations for the $25 hikers' bus to Glacier Point a few days in advance, and arrive 30 minutes before the 8:30 am departure.

One note ~ I just remembered that there are quite a few dogwood trees in the Tuolumne Grove & Merced Grove area. So if you end up with one of those groves, you'll get the benefit of seeing lots of white blooms.

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,945 Reviews
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,157 Reviews
Panorama Trail
Panorama Trail
264 Reviews
Merced Grove
Merced Grove
97 Reviews
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mariposa/Merced/Tuolomne Groves

The problem with a elder grove is the last two miles of road to it are unpaved and we are in a rental car so it rules it out unfortunately.

We head to Cambria/Cayucos out of yosemite not direct to SF and it's about a five hour drive to there according to google maps. If we head back to Tuolomne from Curry Village that's an hour round trip in the car, plus hike to grove, plus wander around grove it's going to add around 3 hours so I don't think we can do it unless I've made a boo-boo in my calculations. I don't always trust google maps - what do you reckon? I leave Cayucos the following morning to head up to Monterey via Big Sur and head to SF the day after that. Henry Cowell being my "last chance" if Tuolomne or Mariposa don't work. But Mariposa is my main hope, it's the grove I have wanted to see since started planning.

Mentioned in this post
Cambria
Cambria
Cayucos
Cayucos
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur