We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crane Flat CG or Housekeeping Camp for 1 night?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Crane Flat CG or Housekeeping Camp for 1 night?

I'm trying to finish up my plans for our trip, leaving in 2 weeks! I have 2 nights at Tuolumne Meadows CG, then a night at Crane Flat CG and then a final night at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. Should I keep the Crane Flat campsite for the peace and quiet, or go for Housekeeping Camp (available for the night in question right now) for the location and views? Just looking for some advice, thanks!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,943 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crane Flat CG or Housekeeping Camp for 1 night?

HKC in a heartbeat for me to stay another night in the valley. I don't know how much more peace and quiet you will get at Crane Flat this time of the year anyway.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crane Flat CG or Housekeeping Camp for 1 night?

Good point about noise at a full campground. Another question about HKC is the bug situation with only a sliding curtain as a door. Are mosquitoes a big problem end of July? I am one of those that they just love to bite, lol! Thanks.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crane Flat CG or Housekeeping Camp for 1 night?

Well I went ahead with HKC, liked the idea of another night inside Yosemite Valley and showers nearby. Plus the electrical outlets will be handy for charging camera batteries etc. Now I have 3 different types of lodging experiences in Yosemite, kind of fun and fits our travel style!

Just an FYI for people wanting campsites in Yosemite, I just cancelled one at Crane Flat for late July and within minutes it was available on reservation.gov!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,943 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crane Flat CG or Housekeeping Camp for 1 night?

We travel with a skeeter magnet too. She has been bit various times of the year. Just bring your usual bug juice, citronella, etc, esp if you shelter is near the river. Have fun!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crane Flat CG or Housekeeping Camp for 1 night?

Thanks! We got a Non River Unit which I assume means what it says, lol! We will have bug stuff as camping at Tuolumne Meadows the 2 nights before. I may also get a mosquito net. Can you set up screen rooms? So looking forward to Yosemite, I haven't been there since I was one years old!

So Cal
Level Contributor
11,646 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crane Flat CG or Housekeeping Camp for 1 night?

Screen room - like an easy-up? Probably not - most units won't have room for it. The patios are covered, and they're all pretty close to each other. It just depends where you end up.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crane Flat CG or Housekeeping Camp for 1 night?

Thanks. We will have the screen room (portable, about 10'x10') with us so if there is room or bugs we can decide. I've read that some people put up strings of lights to help located their unit at night! Look for the chile pepper lights and you may find us, lol!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,943 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crane Flat CG or Housekeeping Camp for 1 night?

LOL about the lights. Folks go all all at HKC sometimes, like some RV parks. Glamping you know...

sunset.com/travel/…page22.html

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crane Flat CG or Housekeeping Camp for 1 night?

Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to seeing Yosemite.

10. Re: Crane Flat CG or Housekeeping Camp for 1 night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 09:47