We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation to Yosemite Valley Nov 14-16

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
63 reviews
Accommodation to Yosemite Valley Nov 14-16

Hello all,

Having had a good read of the forum I have soaked up plenty of great information but still a little unsure of where is best to stay to access the valley.

Planning on flying into SFO for a few days to then position close to Yosemite Valley to spend a day walking the Mist trail. I understand it should be do-able (freak weather taken into account) to get into the Valley and back without chains, however the natural routing between SFO and Yosemite is the 120 opposed to the 140. I'm aware that the 120 is a higher route, but the 140 adds an hour or so to travel time.

Would be grateful for some suggestions/advice!

2 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,434 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Accommodation to Yosemite Valley Nov 14-16

Barring stormy weather, the 120 is a fine way to come into the park. You could even see the Tuolumne Grove of Sequoias on your way in.

You want to stay in the Valley. So, that's the Majestic, Yosemite Valley Lodge, Half Dome Village or (possibly) Housekeeping camp.

We can't decide for you where to stay in the Valley. Presumably, you've checked availability and have plenty of choices? Half Dome Village has a variety of cabin-like accommodations, including unheated canvas tents as well as heated ones. The two tent cabin styles do not have private baths, you share showers and toilets with others in a nearby building. Then, there are cabins with bath, and then there are the Stoneman Cabins also with private bath. There's a cafeteria, snack bar and small grocery store. No cooking in the cabins. It's near Happy Isles (walkable). THere are no televisions or telephones at Half Dome Village.

Yosemite Valley Lodge is closer to Yosemite Falls, is a rustic hotel with a food court and a restaurant/bar. It's also close to the Visitor Center/larger grocery store and a couple of other places to eat. There's limited television.

THe Majestic is an historic and amazing hotel (it's really worth going to see even if you don't stay there). It has a restaurant and bar, definitely has wifi, and has incredible views of the Valley from the grounds (and isn't far from the Village).

THese are priced in three very different ways. You can find all the details on the Aramark page:

https:/…

The other lodgings listed are not in the Valley (except for Housekeeping Cabins, which is really camping and you'd need to either rent or provide yourself with sleeping bags, etc - and it would be quite nippy in mid-November.

Have you checked availability? Do you have a budget? Because it would seem to me that you need to book ASAP and that the longer you wait, the less choice you'll have. As far as I can tell, one category in Half Dome Village is sold out for your dates (cabins with bath) and those would have been less expensive than the Stoneman rooms (which are running about $247 a night. There are still tent cabins, both heated and unheated.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
72,016 posts
133 reviews
2. Re: Accommodation to Yosemite Valley Nov 14-16

Hi

Hwy 140 does not add an hour of travel time. It's more like 5-15 minutes longer, depending on traffic conditions.

Some folks choose to enter via Hwy 41 so that they can access Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias first thing. Other folks prefer to exit via Hwy 41.

Reply to: Accommodation to Yosemite Valley Nov 14-16
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted