We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April ... what to expect ?

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
13 posts
40 reviews
April ... what to expect ?

Hi,

planning to go to Yosemite Valley around April 10th ?

I know that the high mountain will be full of snow and Tioga Pass closed.

Regarding the Valley, will we be able to do small walks or mountain bike rides with the kids ?

And Mariposa ? will it be covered with snow as well ?

2 replies to this topic
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,898 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: April ... what to expect ?

>>Regarding the Valley, will we be able to do small walks or mountain bike rides with the kids ?<<

You should be able to do walks with no problem, especially on the paved trails. If it's been raining, there might be mud on the dirt trails. And off-road mountain biking is prohibited inside the national park.

>>And Mariposa ? will it be covered with snow as well ?<<

Do you mean Mariposa Grove of Sequoias, or the town of Mariposa?

In a relatively normal year, only the higher altitudes will be 'covered' with snow by April (which will not include the town of Mariposa or the Valley floor). But, there is always the possibility of a late-spring storm which might close the roads temporarily.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,845 posts
132 reviews
2. Re: April ... what to expect ?

Hi

I hope that the tips about Planning a Spring visit are helpful to you.

SFSusan is right (again!) Mariposa Grove Welcome Center (parking) is about 5,000' elevation. I doubt there will be snow at the side of the road, but maybe up higher after you shuttle in and hike up to Wawona Point. There should be snow under trees & in the shade. You might see some red snowplants.

The bike rental at the Yosemite Valley Lodge should have a map for your rental bike route. Definitely stay on the bike path.

Reply to: April ... what to expect ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted