We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other places/parks around Yosemite

New Jersey
Level Contributor
68 posts
77 reviews
Other places/parks around Yosemite

My current plan is LA -> Pinnacles -> Yosemite -> Mono Lake -> Death Valley -> LA.

Is that a overkill as they all offer similar scenery?

So what other national parks and places of interest would you all recommend in same region?

- I've been to SF so have chosen LA to be my base (Flying in from NY)

- I've seen Sequoia/Kings Canyon earlier.

Both me and my wife are avid day hikers and prefer 5-6m round hikes the best.

Wildlife and nature takes precedence over cities/towns.

11 replies to this topic
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
20,199 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Other places/parks around Yosemite

They have different geological features. It is not an overkill. It is only a matter of how much time you have, whether you can do them all.

While you are in the area, maybe drop by to visit:

Devils Postpile National Monument

Alabama Hills (Lone Pine)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
68 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: Other places/parks around Yosemite

Thanks. I was thinking about 10 days for the entire trip. Haven' planned it in detail yet but initial thoughts are

1 night in/near Pinnacles

4 nights in Yosemite

1 night in Mono Lake (and the western town)

2 nights in Death Valley

2 night in LA

or something like that.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
68 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Other places/parks around Yosemite

Devils Postpile needs another night?

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
20,199 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Other places/parks around Yosemite

Your plan looks fine - but only if not in the winter. In the winter time there are issues crossing the Sierra Nevada Mountain passes (some roads are closed for the season, some may be closed if snowing). What month is this trip?

colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Other places/parks around Yosemite

Devils Postpile closed Oct. 9th for road repairs. Might want to check if it's back open if your visit is soon.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,907 posts
132 reviews
6. Re: Other places/parks around Yosemite

Hi

As this is the Yosemite forum, I'll suggest that you spend all of your time in Yosemite! (Yes, I'm kidding.)

For ideas about other destinations, check those forums. I think you have a nice mix. You might want more time in the Eastern Sierra, depending on time of year.

Tioga Pass is generally open June-Oct. Death Valley is tough to hike in those months as it's so hot. Ask on the DVNP about tourism there. And if you need to 'steal' nights from Los Angeles, consider flying out of Las Vegas as it's pretty close to DVNP.

You will probably pay a one way drop fee for the rental car. Ask for general state planning tips on the California state forum.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,426 posts
120 reviews
7. Re: Other places/parks around Yosemite

I think the overall itinerary looks good. You should be able to see Alabama Hills/Whitney Portal on your way into DV. I think we're all assuming this trip is between June and October, otherwise, you're going to have to plan way more travel time.

If it's summer, then, DV will be hot and most people prefer not to do 5-6 mile day hikes there, but instead, several short ones. The only way to really see DV and all its strangeness and beauty, is to get out and walk some. But it's just not a good idea to spend hours at a time in 115F or higher temperatures. No amount of water will cool you off, the heat itself will get to you. And that's being optimistic. July temperatures reach 120F in DV (and the record is 134F).

Anyway, there are tons and tons of short hikes in Death Valley that are very rewarding (although personally, I won't go there after May or before October...)

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
58 reviews
8. Re: Other places/parks around Yosemite

if you can fit it in, Little Lakes Basin off the 395 just south of Mammoth Lakes offers some of the most spectacular lakes & mountain scenery in the area (Yosemite included) and after a half mile uphill, it is easy with big payoffs almost immediately. It starts around 10,000 feet so you'd need to be at least somewhat acclimated.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
68 posts
77 reviews
9. Re: Other places/parks around Yosemite

Yikes, Trip is first 2 weeks of Nov...coming up real quick!

How much of additional time do I need to factor in?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,907 posts
132 reviews
10. Re: Other places/parks around Yosemite

Median closure date for Tioga Pass is Nov 12, but it would not be unreasonable to close earlier. And if another snow storm moves through that drops sufficient snow, then Tioga Road might be closed for a day or two.

https:/…tiogaopen.htm

Check road & weather conditions carefully.

Recorded phone line: 209-372-0200

Accurate forecast: https:/…weathermap.htm

Reply to: Other places/parks around Yosemite
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted