We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we cancel?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Should we cancel?

Our family of 6 adults is scheduled to stay in Yosemite west August 18-21 we have booked with scenic wonders. From there our plans were to drive over Tioga Pass and stay in South Lake Tahoe August 22-25. I am being told by scenic wonders that fire is to be contained by August 15 and they will notify us by that date if not the case Should we wait and see or push them to cancel and make another plan? We all have our hearts set on Yosemite but if not meant to be we thought of spending that time in north Lake Tahoe before heading to our reservation in South Lake Tahoe. Insight from those there so appreciative as we are on east coast and hard to know what to do. If the consensus is to bail now on Yosemite, what about alternate plans? Flying into sacrament and out of Reno. Thanks so much!!

4 replies to this topic
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
1. Re: Should we cancel?

We have similar plans. We are flying into Sacramento August 21 and staying at Yosemite View Lodge until the 25th. Then we head to South Lake Tahoe for three nights. Headed back home on the 28th. Our air tickets cannot be canceled or changed. What are the odds that Yosemite will be open and, even if open, will it be too smoky to see many of the sites? At what point should we bail? And where should we go if we do bail since we are flying in regardless. Thanks, all!

Level Contributor
24 posts
2. Re: Should we cancel?

Change the Yosemite part to San Fran maybe

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Should we cancel?

We had reservations at Yosemite West (Scenic Wonders) on 8/13-8/15. I called and canceled them yesterday and got a 100% refund. I would call them on Friday and do the same if I were you. You can stay in South Lake Tahoe and drive the 1 1/2-2 hours to the north area of the park and enjoy the trails in that area. Also in June Lake, Lee Vining and Mono lake.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Should we cancel?

I’m in San Francisco now and drove over to Sacramento today to visit a friend. It’s smoky today as soon as you go over the Golden Gate bridge. We were scheduled to go to Yosemite West tomorrow but the canceled our reservations. We have decided to cut our trip short (have already been to LA, Morro Bay through Big Sur to Monterey to San Francisco. We just didn’t think it was worth it to go anywhere inland and stay. After seeing the smoky, hazy conditions on the to Sacramento and back I’m glad we made that call.

Reply to: Should we cancel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted