We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with a baby in Oct??

London
5 posts
1 review
Travelling with a baby in Oct??

Hi everyone, would really appreciate your input..

My husband and I are planning a road trip in Oct with our 9 month old. We are driving (leisurely!) up the cost from LA to San Fran and had planned to visit Yosemite as its always been top of my wish list.

Friends however have warned us off travelling that far with a baby. They say Oct isn't the best month to see the park and there's not much easy hiking with a little one strapped on.They say visit some of the smaller red woods around San Fran for ease, but I'm struggling to let go of Yosemite!

Do you agree we should give it a miss? If so where should we go instead to spend some time in the beautiful wilderness after 2.5 weeks on the coast?

Many thanks in advance

Karen x

3 replies to this topic
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
20,252 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Travelling with a baby in Oct??

Same response:

RE: They say Oct isn't the best month to see the park and there's not much easy hiking with a little one strapped on

I have an exactly opposite opinion than the above. October is a great time, weather-wise, to visit Yosemite. It is not too hot, it is not snowing yet in all likelihood. Once snow starts for the season, roads may start to be closed. It has some fall colors. The one thing that is less awesome is the waterfalls. There will be much less water compared to spring time and some may even be so dry that it is hard to see them.

For short hikes, lots of ideas. It all depends on how comfortable, or tiring, you guys are carrying your baby.

In the Yosemite Valley - Mist Trail, or the foothill trails along both sides of the valley.

Glacier Point - can walk part of the Panorama Trail, gently downhill to Illilouette Falls. Grand view of the valley and Half Dome at a distance. You don't need to complete it down to Illilouette Falls necessarily, just turn around any time you like. Sentinel Dome is a short hike from the trailhead parking lot and it is easy.

Tuolumne Meadows - Tenaya Lake (can walk around it). Pothole Dome is fun. Or just walk to Soda Spring, very leveled. Lyell Canyon.

Or course there are also Tuolumne Grove and Mariposa Grove, or even Merced Grove, to see the giant sequoia trees.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,434 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Travelling with a baby in Oct??

There couldn't be an easier place to hike than flat, low elevation Yosemite Valley. Tons of people do this with babies, some people rent bikes with trailers, some people bring jogging strollers, every kind of conveyance for a baby that you can imagine.

If you're used to perfect comfort, not being outdoors, etc., it might be strenuous. October is a lovely month to visit and that's when we usually go (and the kids went too, to both Yosemite and Sequoia, in October, November and May...as it's too crowded otherwise). Yosemite Valley, as seen by tourists, is not "wilderness."

Post #1 offers some more wilderness-like places - but if you're already worried about hiking, you aren't going to get to any actual wilderness. All of this is well-traveled (and often paved).

If you don't already have accommodations in Yosemite, though, not sure this is such a good idea. In terms of driving, it's a shorter trip to YNP than from SF to LA.

The trees near SF are not Giant Sequoias, and if they're advising Muir Woods, it's not only not wilderness, but it's extremely impacted by tourism. October is convention month in SF, Muir Woods (and the other nearby redwoods) will be crowded. If that's what you want, then that's fine.

We took a baby up Lembert and Pothole Domes in Tuolumne, in a backpack (mostly flat, a little bit of a steep hill to the top of the Dome). We took a baby in a backpack up Moro Rock in Sequoia (much steeper than the Dome).

Lake Tenaya area: flat, not wilderness, but usually not too crowded and you really do feel as if you are far from civilization.

For most first time visitors, walking around the Valley on the perfectly level, often shaded trail is the best thing to do on a first trip. Last October, Yosemite Falls was flowing pretty well, because it had snowed up top but at the edge of the Valley, it melted pretty quickly.

Mariposa Grove and Tuolumne Grove (both Giant Sequoias) are both very accessible and look exactly the same in October.

What do your friends have to say about your 400+ mile trip (one way) to Los Angeles??

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,610 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Travelling with a baby in Oct??

my response in your other post..

It really depends on your baby and your own travel style. My baby is 8 months now but we took her to Hawaii at 6 weeks and to Japan at 3 months. I wore her in the front carrier all over Japan for 10 days walking all over. We are going to Cuba with her next week. We are outdoors folks and camp most summers in Yosemite but have not taken her there yet. Next summer probably. But we now take hikes with her in a hiking backpack. My baby used to cry bloody murder in the carseat so we do not do a lot of road trips but she does great on the plane and when I wear her in a carrier. That is why we have been able to continue our wanderlust traveling with her. Some babies hate the carrier so it all depends.

We were thinking about going in October or November with her but I think we will wait until next summer to go with family. But hiking with a little one is totally feasible and easier than when they are more mobile. Assuming you are fit and can carry her and baby likes carrier and/or hiking backpack. My husband is in better shape than me so he has been wearing her in the hiking backpack. We do 2-4 miles hikes locally that go 400-1500 ft up.

Yosemite Falls may be dry by October unless there is a storm. But Vernal and Neveda Falls should still be flowing. And the granite and Half Dome are always stunning to me.

We hardly use our stroller - maybe used half a dozen time. But if your baby likes the stroller, still plenty to see. Many folks have mobility issues and they can still enjoy the grandeur of Yosemite without much walking. Lower Yosemite Falls and much of the valley is stroller friendly.

Edited: 08 August 2018, 06:32
Reply to: Travelling with a baby in Oct??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted