We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mariposa to Bishop alternative route due to fire

4 posts
Save Topic
Mariposa to Bishop alternative route due to fire

Hello,

Myself and my partner will be travelling from Best Western Plus Yosemite Way Station on the 25th of August, we will be driving to Bishop where we are booked in to stay for the night and the following day we will drive through Death Valley and into Vegas.

We are travelling from Ireland, can someone tell me the best way to get to Bishop from Mariposa please while taking in the best places for scenery photos etc, we plan to drive the Tioga pass, any advice would be much appreciated as we wouldn't know the area very well, I will be using downloaded maps on a GPS, paper maps etc. I understand a lot of roads are closed due to the fire so we need some advice

Thank you in advance

3 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
13,213 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mariposa to Bishop alternative route due to fire

You're in luck, as the Tioga Road opened today. Your motel is in Oakhurst, I believe, but that's about 15-20 minutes from Mariposa. Right now, the park entrance closest to Oakhurst is still closed, but if it is open by your dates (I think it will be), use that entrance - otherwise drive to Mariposa and use the 140.

It's hard to list sights on two different roads. If you come by the 41 from Oakhurst, you can decide to see the Sequoias by stopping at the parking lot near the entrance station and taking the shuttle. I, however, would reserve my time for Yosemite Valley and drive onward. You will therefore get to stop at Tunnel View, which is amazing and the classic first view of the Valley.

If you come by the 140, turn right at Bridalveil Falls/41 fork and go up to Tunnel View from there, then come back down and stop briefly at Bridalveil Falls. If you came in by the 41, then turn right into the Bridalveil Falls parking lot; if it is too crowded, go 1/10 of a mile and turn right into the Valley and park nearby for the views, you may be able to see the falls from there (it will be mist...hence its name).

Then drive the park road to either Half Dome Village or Yosemite Falls and park there. People will be stopping all along the meadows and other features. If you park at Half Dome Village, take the shuttle to Happy Isles and walk a bit up the Mist Trail to see the falls there. Then take the shuttle around the Valley, and back to your car (if you got an early start, you can stop at Yosemite Falls and check it out, or at El Cap Meadow to look for climbers - it's great to take small binoculars for this).

All of this will probably take about 3 hours. Head for the Tioga Road, stop at Olmsted Point. You'll drive through some gorgeous scenery but you want to be out of the park by 6-7 pm, not driving the Tioga Pass at night.

You will probably get to Bishop at twilight or a little after if you get an early start. You can grab sandwiches or fast food (pizza) at Half Dome Village, which is why I suggest trying to park there. Otherwise, grab food at the food court at Yosemite Lodge opposite Yosemite Falls (which has a bigger parking lot).

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mariposa to Bishop alternative route due to fire

Thank you very much for the time and detail gone into your reply I really appreciate it, I will be sitting down with my laptop today to plan this out in full and I will definitely go with your advice for this part of the trip.

Worst case scenario that the fire is still burning bad and the park remains closed, will both options you have given me be out of the question?

Thanks again

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
13,213 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mariposa to Bishop alternative route due to fire

Aaron, I'll PM you, but the situation in Mariposa is still in flux. CalTrans has opened their sections of the road, but YNP has not opened the Arch Rock (140) Entrance Station - just the one on the 120 (it opens in about 45 minutes).

SO. You need to use the 49 to go up to Groveland and then over the Tioga Road. The 49 was closed until recently and still has some construction controls, but isn't too bad according to google maps. This is a real boon to travelers (that they've opened this road).

It's a nice drive, too. Some parts will be slow at the construction pinch points, but of all your options, this is probably the fastest and most scenic.

Reply to: Mariposa to Bishop alternative route due to fire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted