We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite West

9 posts
Yosemite West

We are scheduled to be at one of the condos in Yosemite West on Aug 19th. Assuming the Park is opened by then, can anyone with experience with forest fires tell me what the condo inside will smell like? We are concerned that it will be smell so bad that it will be uncomfortable, especially trying to sleep. Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,321 posts
6,456 reviews
1. Re: Yosemite West

If you are trying to figure out if you should cancel or not, I would cancel.

We have had fires from time to time, but the park has never been closed like this since he early 1990s.

https:/…

I would anticipate it will take Yosemite West area a while to get the "smoke" out of everything...

Edited: 07 August 2018, 08:02
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,426 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Yosemite West

I agree with mini. If you're worried about even the smell of smoke (and I can understand that), then cancel. There are too many things of that nature that could be possible (breezes with ash...Dad's house got them after the Thomas Fire for a couple of months, at least (about 2 miles from the perimeter of the fire.) Still, friends of mine who stood for 54 hours on the roof of their house with intense smoke for several days...not a smell inside (they don't have roof vents and they do have excellent windows and doors).

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Yosemite West

I had one of the condos in Yosemite West for next week 8/13 & 8/14. I spoke to them yesterday. They allowed me to cancel and I got a 100% refund. Going to spend those days I had in and near Yosemite at SEKC and on the coast. I would call the at the end of the week and cancel. I got a bit of push back from them on the phone, but if conditions are the same on Friday they should do the same for you. If the Park is open you will most likely have to forfit some of your deposit or go.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 18:01
Indiana
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
567 reviews
4. Re: Yosemite West

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer…

If you follow that link to the CalFire map of the area, I'd say it doesn't look good at all. Yosemite West has or had fire on 3 sides and the fire jumped over Wawona Rd and is making it's way up Glacier Point Road up into the park. Even if the area around Yosemite West is completely put out, the fire burning up into Yosemite will take a while to get extinguished since there are minimal access to where it's headed.

From what I've read, the wind will blow west to east during the day, but east to west at night, which blows the smoke right back to Yosemite West.

Will all that be put out and gone in 10 days? From what I've been following, I doubt it. With all the fires around the state, including fires that are bigger and closer to cities and towns, the Yosemite back country will not be a priority over those fires.

Wait as long as they let you to cancel, but I'd be 90% ready to cancel and make other plans.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
5. Re: Yosemite West

Sorry to add on to this post, I'm due to stay near Yosemite View Lodge on the 19th September for 3 nights, do you think I should still go? I had planned to do Glacier Point, Tuolumne Meadows, Olmsted Point, Tenaya Lake. To get my money back from the B&B I would have to cancel by the end of this week.

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Yosemite West

You have plenty of time. The fire should be out and 100% contained by then,.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,885 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: Yosemite West

Yosemite West emailed us and canceled our reservation and gave us a full refund. We were supposed to be there Aug 8-10.

To the visitor from Leeds, if it’s possible to reschedule for April, May, or June I would do that. Spring is really the best time to see Yosemite with the waterfalls going strong.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,426 posts
120 reviews
8. Re: Yosemite West

It's actually looking much better today. The fire is behaving as planned (the line around Yosemite West was drawn many days ago, it has held and the burn there was anticipated - and nearly over!)

Fire is now at 43% containment, air quality is a bit better, Highways 120 and 140 were reopened today (but not the Valley itself - there are a few decisions that need to be made before that can happen).

The fire near Yosemite West is already almost completely out. Once a place has burned, it does not burn again for a long time.

AllieH, I am very confident that not only are you good to go - but that Yosemite will be beautiful as it always is in September, it should not be as hot as it is in August, and the road to your lodging is already open! It would be possible today to drive into the park and see the high country - and I think by the end of the week, the Valley will be open. Fingers crossed.

Reply to: Yosemite West
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted