We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamestown to Lone Pine (this Tuesday)

Letchworth, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
366 reviews
Save Topic
Jamestown to Lone Pine (this Tuesday)

We've had to change our plans due to the wildfires several times already, but we're now staying in Jamestown Monday night, and need to get to Lone Pine for Tuesday night, with non-refundable rooms.

With the 120 and 108 now closed, it looks like the 4 and 88/89 are the only options available - so, which would be the better option?

Google Maps says 6-7 hours for either route (excluding any rest breaks, obviously) - but is that realistic?

& talking of rest stops, where would be best to stop?

Thanks in advance :-)

15 replies to this topic
1. Re: Jamestown to Lone Pine (this Tuesday)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2018, 21:10

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,538 posts
6,405 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamestown to Lone Pine (this Tuesday)

Highway 88 Carson Pass is a scenic mountain pass.

It goes from Jackson to Minden/Gardnervillle.

You will see some pretty lakes on this route such as Caples

Then when you get to Minden/Gardnerville drive 395 south.

http://www.carsonpass.com/

This is the route we often take (even when the other roads are open) from our home across the Sierras.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamestown to Lone Pine (this Tuesday)

4 is the more scenic of the two but is narrow in spots, more winding and has drop offs so not for those with fear of heights. 88 is still scenic and is an easier drive and probably quicker overall.

If you take 4, you could stop and see giant sequoias at Calaveras Big Trees State Park.

https://scenic4.org/

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
13,059 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamestown to Lone Pine (this Tuesday)

Under the circumstances, I"d probably take the 88.

LA
Level Contributor
11,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamestown to Lone Pine (this Tuesday)

Seeing how dense the smoke is north of Yosemite, flowing into Tahoe and the Reno area, I would not advise driving Highway 4. Limited visibility from the smoke makes the drive even more dangerous.

I would take Highway 88 , then Highway 89 to Minden and down Highway 395

Be advised the air quality is very bad in Minden right now: Currently 377 = HAZARDOUS

Edited: 06 August 2018, 22:07
LA
Level Contributor
11,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamestown to Lone Pine (this Tuesday)

And, currently it's very bad all down the eastern Sierras , Bishop, especially AND Lone Pine is feeling the effects

Honestly, I's suggest drivng the southern route through Bakersfield to Tehachapi to Mojavr to Lone Pine

Edited: 06 August 2018, 22:11
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamestown to Lone Pine (this Tuesday)

4 is beautiful but in any kind of reduced visibility it's not a good idea. I would take 88/89.

LA
Level Contributor
11,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamestown to Lone Pine (this Tuesday)

TravellerCA - looking at the air quaily maps makes me recommend the route through Bakersfield, Tehachapi, Mojave, to Lone Pine

https://airnow.gov/index.cfm…

Edited: 06 August 2018, 22:14
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jamestown to Lone Pine (this Tuesday)

The air quality would have to be essentially opaque before I did that... not because I love 88/89, but because the drive down 99 and then across 58 is so full of people who learned how to drive by watching people play video games on YouTube.

Letchworth, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jamestown to Lone Pine (this Tuesday)

Thanks all - 88/89 or avoid everything and head South seem to be the best options then. Probably best not to fall off the side of the road on 4...

I'd love to get a scenic drive in so am edging towards 88/89, but obviously will keep a super close eye on conditions. I think we will head off early on the Tuesday to ensure maximum visibility and no travel with limited light.

Reply to: Jamestown to Lone Pine (this Tuesday)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted