We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help.. no snow chains for Yosemite.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Help.. no snow chains for Yosemite.

Now.. please dont yell at me. We tried our best to be prepared but here is the story (and warning for others). We hired our car in LAX and were upgraded to a larger Vehicle. We asked about snow chains at various places before coming. Everyone said theh did not have any and to get them closer to Yosemite. So we stopped at every place we could find from Oakdale, Groveland and other places in between etc. No one from 12 outlets including auto shops, liquor shops, gas stations, tire shops had the size we need. So we have arrived at our accomodation with no snow chains.

So.. do we

1. just stay here and miss out on Yosemite?

2. Drive in (route 120) and turn around if we come to a chain control sign ( Keeping to the Valley only)

3. Detour 3 hours to route 140 looking for chains?

We only have one full day available.

I should mention I asked our accommodation if YARTS came past, when we booked ages ago and they said yes. But now we discover it is only in Summer! ... Grr!

What would you do?

it was sunny today and dry .

no chains needed. But forecast snow tomorrow afternoon above 5000ft.

If we drove into Yosemite on the 120 and crossed over to the 140 in YOSEMITE and drove back to Mariposa to see if they have chains or perhaps get YARTS from there back into Yosemite... How high is that crossing road in Yosemite from the 120 to the 140?

Sounds like we either miss out on Yosemite ( having come from West coast of Australia 😯) or have lots of driving instead of hiking.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,572 posts
1. Re: Help.. no snow chains for Yosemite.

Eeks. This is for tomorrow? I would drive hwy 49 to Mariposa and take Hwy 140 in or YARTS Bus. 140 Doesn't climb as high in elevation. Hwy 140 stays around 4000', but Hwy 120 goes above 6000' going into Yosemite. (I would not drive into Yosemite on Hwy 140 and then back out to Mariposa on Hwy 140.)

Check YARTS Bus schedule, it isn't that frequent.

But I'm also reading that snow level is above 8000' tomorrow?

forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php…

Edited: 18 January 2017, 12:14
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,572 posts
2. Re: Help.. no snow chains for Yosemite.

Sorry, I meant to say:

(I would not drive into Yosemite on Hwy 120 and then back out to Mariposa on Hwy 140.)

You'll go up in elevation and then come back down. Just go directly to Mariposa, along Hwy 49.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,572 posts
3. Re: Help.. no snow chains for Yosemite.

Oh... I just read that snow levels will start at 8000', then lower to 5000' in the evening. I would just YARTS Bus. Don't even bother with chains.

Good luck!

Edited: 18 January 2017, 12:28
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,666 posts
123 reviews
4. Re: Help.. no snow chains for Yosemite.

I'd drive in on Hwy 120 (just over 6,000' elevation) this morning, assuming the ranger lets you in. Then keep an eye on the weather. If it turns bad, exit on Hwy 140.

This is why we recommend folks stay on Hwy 140, the year round YARTS route.

Official weather map

https:/…weathermap.htm

Good luck!

Edited: 18 January 2017, 19:51
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Help.. no snow chains for Yosemite.

Thanks for the advice. An update. .we went back to the Yosemite Lakes store, which was closed yesterday and they could help us.. so we entered Yosemite prepared...and just as well.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,261 posts
432 reviews
6. Re: Help.. no snow chains for Yosemite.

Glad it all worked out.

7. Re: Help.. no snow chains for Yosemite.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2018, 11:47