We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

altitude sickness????

West Virginia
10 posts
Save Topic
altitude sickness????

I will be in Yellowstone July 11th thru the 18th. Has anyone gotten altitude sicknesss while out there. I live in WV, so i am sure to mountains, but not as big as out west.

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: altitude sickness????

Hey Poodle,

Everybody reacts differently to the altitude changes when in Yellowstone, depending on where they live. I'm sure that there are cases of actual sickness, but for the most part it's more of a discomfort, with headache and dry mouth and a feeling of being out of breath after very little activity. The best way to avoid these symptoms is to take it easy for the first few days to give your body a chance to adjust to the higher altitudes before planning any strenous outdoor activities like hiking. It's also very important to keep yourself well hydrated. Even if you aren't feeling any of the other symptoms, drinking plenty of water will help keep the symptoms from beginning.

I wouldn't let the fear of altitude sickness spoil your trip. Just don't overdo it at first and drink plenty of fluids, and you should be fine.

Enjoy!

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: altitude sickness????

I've read quite a bit about altitude sickness since I'm very susceptible--and there's little to be concerned about if you stay under 8,000 ft. Above that seems to be the problem area. So if you do plan to venture up to those elevations, follow the tips that the previous poster gave. And keep your alcohol consumption to a minimum as that will only make symptoms worse.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: altitude sickness????

Much of your YNP trip will range from 5,000 - 8,000 ft. I would follow advice noted above re: hydration, and not be concerned.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,164 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: altitude sickness????

Drink lots and lots of water!! Cut way back on caffine and alcohol! That will help.

Don't try to run up the mountains your first day or two.

Enjoy and rest when you feel tired!

West Virginia
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: altitude sickness????

Thanks to all for your advice. I generally do not worry about stuff like this, but had a co-worker tell me about an aunt that got real sick. My husband and i are looking forward to our first trip to Yellowstone, so i think it will be wonderful.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: altitude sickness????

I grew up in WV and the terrain out there is much different. I think the whole park is higher than 6200'. Some of the meadows on the east side are just under 8000'. Some of these areas are quite flat.

We didn't have any trouble with altitude but we didn't hike much.

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: altitude sickness????

It took a couple of months to adjust after we moved here from 4000ft to 6667 ft in West Yellowstone.

Besides water, reduced alcohol and caffeine, plenty of sleep the first night or two you are here, remember --- when hiking, biking, or just walking, stop and take a brief rest. Sit down on a bench for a few minutes or enjoy some shade. Do it before you feel tired or winded. You need to pace yourself while exerting during your vacation here.

Enjoy the view and breathe deep!

8. Re: altitude sickness????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 07:47