We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do I do if it rains?

Boston...
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What do I do if it rains?

Hi!

I've got my trip all planned out: 4 days in Yellowstone (based in Gardiner), two in Grand Teton (based in Jackson), and a possible wildlife safari in Grand Teton with one of the wildlife expedition companies.

There's going to be a decent amount of hiking and such, and naturally everything in Yellowstone is outside.

This begs the question: what do I do if it rains?

Rain will probably keep half the wildlife away and make hiking a pain in the neck. I can drive past the geysers but it won't be as nice an experience.

I've got a car. If the rain occurs during the Gardiner/Yellowstone leg, what do you suggest? Head up to Bozeman? Idaho Falls? Cody?

Thanks in advance,

ACG

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,709 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do I do if it rains?

If it rains, as long as there is not lightning, go see the sights, do hikes and enjoy. I would not cut short a visit to Yellowstone and Tetons at all.

What time of year are you visiting? Usually in the summer, rain storms come over in the afternoon, and tend to be fast moving.

There also are a number of visitor centers to see, hotels to visit and you can still see wildlife.

new york
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do I do if it rains?

We never had a drop of rain our time there earlier this summer. We made sure we brought rain gear just in case. As for wild life tours I would base it in Yellowstone rather then Grand Teton since there is so much more wildlife in Yellowstone your chances of weeing it would be far greater. Have a great trip. If your not into the outdoors in the rain the visitor centers could keep you busy al day. As well as checking out the various Inns.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do I do if it rains?

You are planning a decent amount of hiking and you are worried about the rain? If it rains, you wear rainproof gear.

You think the rain will probably keep the wildlife away? Surely you jest?

You might find it more convenient to lodge in YNP and save a lot of driving. Even if it's the cheap cabins; you'll be outdoors most of the time.

J24
Northern California
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do I do if it rains?

Afternoon thunderstorms are not uncommon in both parks. We just returned (last night) from a week there and got a good bit of rain on several afternoons. We forgot our hiking rain gear but bought cheap plastic ponchos from the gift shop and just went about our normal plans. It's still an awesome place to be even in the rain.

Each of the visitor centers offers something unique and the ranger programs will usually find a dry spot if it happens to be raining when they are scheduled. These make great rain breaks.

I wouldn't drive out of the park in the event of rain. There is still so much to see and the driving distances are long.

Enjoy!

Boston...
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What do I do if it rains?

Hi!

This trip is going to be in the fall, from 10/7 to 10/14 (shoulder season to avoid the crowds). I'm well aware that it's going to take a lot of rain to get me away from the park, but just in case :)

I figure I'd only plan for one -- or at MOST two -- days interrupted by rain enough to block the park. Those will be handled by Bozeman and Cody (museums and stuff).

ACG

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do I do if it rains?

I think Yellowstonefan listed ten things to do in inclement weather in YNP. I did not save them. If he does not chime in, they might be listed on an Insider page under his name.

The Cody museums are terrific! Expect to spend at least three hours. The Beartooth Hwy. to Red Lodge, then to Cody, is spectacular.

People above speak truth - there is so much to see and to do in YNP, forget the weather and enjoy. If you have binoculars, great. Spotting scope, better. If not, just ask what folks are seeing through their scopes and they'll probably be very happy to share with you.

Wildlife? You will be in the rut, be wary of animals anyway, be especially wary on the trails - these critters are not tame. And bears are stocking up for the winter, so, again, be wary.

You will have a great trip.

Where in Boston, by the way?

Boston...
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What do I do if it rains?

I'm from Brookline.

As far as the animals go, I am somewhat concerned about what to do with the animals. I've hiked a little into the Grand Canyon but I've never had to deal with rutting bears, wolves, and so forth.

Of course, I turned on the Discovery Channel yesterday and their major feature was "Human Prey -- Bear Attacks Person in Yellowstone". For some reason, I didn't watch it...

NJ
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do I do if it rains?

I've done a fare amount of hiking out west for an easterner.. the only time i came upon a bear on the trail was in NJ! that having been said, hiking in the rockies, i have run into mountain goats (i always thought they didn't need trails...) and big horn sheep. Stubborn elk and bison in the roadways

bears have always been at a distance and when i see evidence of bear activity old or new, i leave the area. I have never hiked with bear spray, i did use bells once (made me think of dinner bells and learned behavior experiments...) so i now hike and clap my hands and sing sometimes (much to the regret of those around me)

Running into these animals is the rare occurence, you hear about the times that it happens, not the thousands of times it doesn't. Just be aware of where you are and your limitations with respect to physical abilitiies. Check at the ranger stations and visitor centers for recent wildlife activity on the trails. Then most important of all ENJOY YOURSELF IT'S VACATION !!!! ( on my way in 3 days!!!!)

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do I do if it rains?

Belmont...

Have a great trip!

10. Re: What do I do if it rains?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 21:48