We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pagoda buffet ?

UK
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Topic
Pagoda buffet ?

Hi. We are thinking of taking a group of 10 or so people for a celebration dinner at either the Pagoda or The Willows. We were considering the buffet at both so that our guests can sample a number of Hawaiian dishes without having to worry about whether they will like what they order. We will be staying at the Hawaii Prince which I think is not too far from the Pagoda but not sure how far away The Willows is. Has anyone eaten at either. Can you advise a rough idea of cost, quality and ambience ?

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pagoda buffet ?

I've been to both, though it was a couple of years ago. Either is good for a celebration. The atmosphere is pretty similar, tables arranged around garden-ponds. The Willows is open-air with a nice courtyard and fountain (probably nicer for photo-opportunities), whereas the Pagoda is indoors and a little more crowded. I remember both buffets being good, with a nice variety, but the Pagoda was more Asian (sushi, crab legs, tofu) and the Willows more Hawaiian (kalua pork, lomilomi salmon, etc.). Maybe you can find their menus online, prices too. I think the Willows was about $35 per person. The Willows is outside of Waikiki near the university of Hawaii, so that's about a 10-15 minute drive. The Pagoda is near Ala Moana, just outside Waikiki, about a 5 minute drive.

UK
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pagoda buffet ?

Cheers rivera71. I think I like the idea of the Willows better from what you have said. Is it a walkable distance from the Hawaii Prince or should we think about cabs etc. Also I just remembered that one of the party will be a vegetarian (although she will eat fish if there she has to). From memory which buffet do you think will be better for her ?

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pagoda buffet ?

The Willows is not walkable from HHV. You will need cars or taxis. The Pagoda is not a short walk either. It's over a mile, which is too much for most American feet but if you guys don't mind a hike, kudos to you.

Although a vegetarian won't starve at either buffet (both will have rice, noodles, vegetables, fish, desserts), Pagoda probably has the edge in this regard due to the Japanese dishes. They probably have a wider variety of seafood plus maybe things like tofu, miso soup, tempura.

Here's a link to The Willows buffet menu.

http://www.willowshawaii.com/dinner.htm

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pagoda buffet ?

I was thinking Hilton Hawaiian Village instead of the Hawaii Prince, but the two hotels are right near each other so the walk to Pagoda is still about the same, a mile or so.

bc_canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pagoda buffet ?

aloha... how about Todai Seafood Buffet, just minutes from the Hilton? This buffet is strongly Asian, but there is a large variety of food, including a huge sushi selection. Lunch is around $15 and dinner ~$25-$30. Prices are little higher on the week-ends and for Sunday Brunch.

UK
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pagoda buffet ?

Aloha Aloha 2005 :0) Is the Todai really suitable for a celebration dinner ? I did have it down as one of the places to try whilst we are in Hawaii but wanted somewhere a bit special for this dinner. What do you think ?

bc_canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pagoda buffet ?

ok.. it depends on what you want.. for an informal buffet.. Todai is ok .. If you really need to impress, I usually go to the Ocean Terrace at the Sheraton Waikiki... The dining room is spacious, and the buffet has a Hawaiian-Asian influence. There is an early-bird special ... after that, the room fills quickly for dinner.

8. Re: Pagoda buffet ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 18:46