We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to swim in Waikiki beach?

oakley, california
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to swim in Waikiki beach?

I was wondering if everything was ok now or if there is still a problem due to the sewage spill.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to swim in Waikiki beach?

All of the beaches on Oahu are open & safe.

honolulu
Level Contributor
348 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to swim in Waikiki beach?

They say it's safe, but I won't go in Waikiki and I don't know many people who do.

Honolulu, HI
Level Contributor
505 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to swim in Waikiki beach?

I I haven't gone swam there since the accident either, but the bacteria counts are supposedly low in the main areas of waikiki beach, and so they are saying it's safe. There are so many great beaches on Oahu anyway, so really you should look at it as a chance to get out of Waikiki and experience the real beauty of the island.

bc canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to swim in Waikiki beach?

We just returned from a month's stay...we swam, floated on air mattresses and boogey boarded. I must admit I was a little hesitant the first time but got over it. I noticed there are fish swimming in even the heaviest used parts of beach so how bad can it be?

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to swim in Waikiki beach?

aloha, I am in waikiki now looking out from my room, its about 7 am, there are about 50 boogie boarders out in front of the marriott, 20 surfers at queens, about 50 at canoes, about 20 way out at threes, based on their ability they mostly look like locals. Monday was a state holiday king kamehaha day so the water was absolutely packed. This has been discussed at length, water is fine and packed with locals and tourists. Currently we seem to have a bunch of high scool senior trips over, they seem to having a great time. Yesterday we drove aroung the island and played golf at turtle bay, north shore was still pretty crowded but many beaches were totaly empty. Waimea bay was dead flat and ok for swimming but sunset had a good swell and had the tour buses stopping to watch the surfers. Turtle bay is beautiful but would be a little slow for the longboards for an extended stay, the horse back ride at turtle bay looks like something we would like to try. A couple of interesting numbers from the newspaper, tourism up 5% in may from last year, unemployment at a very low 2.7%

Level Contributor
983 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to swim in Waikiki beach?

I think that it's safe to swim. However, don't dig down in the sand and eat it or bury yourself in it. Swimming? No problems due to something about continuous ocean currents away from the islands since life there began. Or any island for that matter.

7. Re: Is it safe to swim in Waikiki beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 23:48