We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage locks.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage locks.

Not long to go now, only 25 more sleeps. My question is, do we or dont we need locks on our luggage when travelling to Hawaii?

Bendigo
Level Contributor
899 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Luggage locks.

Completely understand the concerns of someone putting something into your luggage - this has been of particular concern for Aussies but more so when we are travelling to countries to our north. Whatever makes you comfortable. and the wisest advice is from pacebets - never, never, never ever put anything valuable in your checked luggage. I travel to Hawaii every year for a break and over 14 years have had luggage arrive at the baggage carousel 3 times without the locks.......................but I still use them.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Luggage locks.

I use both TSA approved locks and plastic cable ties on my suitcase .... true, it's not much of a deterrence, but at least I know if someone has been in my bag. If the cable ties are intact, I know that my bag has not been opened and I have no worries.

Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
405 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Luggage locks.

I asked the exact same question just prior to leaving for our trip 3 years ago when I heard that non TSA approved locks would be cut off our baggage. We ended up using Travel Zip Lock Ties that we bought from the Post Office and we travelled through the islands without any trouble from Security with the Zip Lock Ties still intact.

As Australians we all know why we prefer to lock our bags but the majority of people responding from the US had a hard time understanding why, no one had heard of the Shapelle Corby case at the time.

At the end of the day no lock will prevent your bags from being stolen but at least I knew that our bags had not been rummaged through and that nothing had been placed in my bag that I didn't know about.

If you are interested in reading the thread search for " US Customs do they cut off luggage locks" it is an interesting read.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Luggage locks.

we don't go til next Feb - we are going to be using locks &/or zip ties - especially since we have to go through Sydney... I'm of the same mind as gonetokauai - i feel better knowing i at least tried to keep my bags safe.

The other thing you have to ask yourself - if something did happen to your luggage (specifically if something was stolen from in it without your bag going missing) - if you don't have locks are you covered by your travel insurance? most of them say something like 'reasonable steps to look after your belongings'

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Luggage locks.

WATCH THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PIpvpjczPA

See nothing is fool proof!

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Luggage locks.

I lock my bags to keep the zippers shut. I've seen the contents of a suitcase riding around the baggage claim area because someone's bag popped open.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Luggage locks.

Unless you have STEEL zippers you can get broken into

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,900 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Luggage locks.

Aloha,

Frozen.....where there's a will, there's a way. Slicing the suitcase itself is also done, so unless you have a hard side, super tough (and super heavy) piece-anything can happen.

Does it happen often? I don't think so. It's like many other things, we only hear about the bad things, not the millions who have no problems.

Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Luggage locks.

Luggage locks are practically useless. A couple of years ago, our luggage arrived off the plane with the zip broken even though we had TSA approved locks. We couldn't get the zip fixed and had to buy a new suitcase.

This time I still used the locks, but didn't actually lock the suitcase.

Also found luggage straps for $6.99 at the Food Pantry on Kuhio in Waikiki compared to $12.99 from the ABC stores. They are another deterrent and help identify your suitcase.

Sask
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Luggage locks.

^I just get the ugliest and most gaudy scarf I can find and wrap that around and around my luggage handle. :)

Edited: 30 November 2011, 09:41