We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 YaYa's in May

Perkasie
2 posts
Save Topic
5 YaYa's in May

We are planning a YaYa's weekend (3-4 days) for myself and 5 others either the end of May or the beginning of June. We aren't huge on the long walking tours but are definitely planning to tour a few mansions (at this point; The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms),

It seems like the Newport Beach Hotel and Suites are first in the running of places to stay, but we don't have reservations yet.

I'm nervous about the drive from Philadelphia to Newport because I've never done it before.

We still need to decide on restaurants and other things to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Viking Tours of Newport
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
On Watch Sailing
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Newport Tour & Guide
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Historic Tours of Newport
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 YaYa's in May

I've done the drive quite a few times. Take the Tappanzee Bridge and avoid NYC. Plan the trip so you avoid NJ and NYC during any rush hour. Remember that coming back Sunday evenings are a rush hour in NYC in summer.

My favorite special occasion restaurant is Bouchard's, which is French cuisine. The White Horse Tavern is also very good, less pricey and the oldest operating in the US, so it's almost like a food museum. Don't miss Flo's Clamshack in Middletown (JUST over the Newport line)., which is bargain-priced. I'd suggest both a lunch and a dinner there. It's also within walking distance of Newport Beach Hotel and Suites which has a pretty good reputation. Other restaurants of good reliable repuation would be the Red Parrot, Scales and Shells and The Brick Alley Pub. Nikolas Pizza is good and has other stuff besides pizza... grinders are hoagies, FYI.

The mansions... do NOT miss The Breakers. It's the largest, most opulent, etc. After that I am one of those seen one seen them all kind of people, but many would disagree with that. If you loved The Great Gatsby or several other movies do tour Rosecliff.

Make SURE you get out on the water in Newport Harbor. There are many ways to go about this. There are many private harbor tours available, from historic sailing yatchs to modern boats of every type. There is a ferry, the Jamestown Newport Ferry, that is a very affordable way to get out on the water. There is a water taxi. Just make sure you do it!

Check gonewport.com for entertainment. There is always live outdoor entertainment in Newport in season on weekends.

Perkasie
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 YaYa's in May

Excellent! Thank you for all the great information. I am definitely going to use as many of your suggestions as I can fit into our trip.

The Breakers and Rosecliff are first on our list of Mansions to tour. We also found out that we will be in Newport during The Great Chowder Cookoff and you can be sure that we will be there!

The Red Parrot is on our Itinerary for dinner on the first night in Newport and we are hoping to go to Flo's Clam Shack for lunch on the second day.

We are so excited!

Thanks for your help,

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 YaYa's in May

LauryC gave you excellent advice; I would only add that you could also check out the Newport Visitor's Center to get some additional information and perhaps some discount coupons. Also be aware that Flo's only takes cash.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
146 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 YaYa's in May

My favorite restaurant is The Black Pearl in Bannister's Warf. You can eat outside or in. The meal I always order is the brochette of shrimp & sea scallops with shoe string fries & julien veggies. Out of this world if you like shrimp & scallops.

Many cute shops around that area as well. The Newport Mansion Shop is a must as are others.

Enjoy!!!

5. Re: 5 YaYa's in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 09:46