We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyoneers Raft Trip

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
226 reviews
Save Topic
Canyoneers Raft Trip

we are thinking of taking a 7 day trip down the Colorado with Canyoneers. Can anyone recommend (or not) this rafting organization. Many than ks.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,081 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canyoneers Raft Trip

I did the 7 day full canyon trip with Canyoneers several years ago. I highly recommend them. I'm considering them for my next trip.

But if you do your research you'll discover that any raft trip in the Grand Canyon is a fantastic trip and could change your life. All of the providers are certified in the same way and will give you a trip of a lifetime. The differences have more to do with the size of the raft, dates and number of days for the trip.

If you haven't already done so, check this website

http://www.rivers-oceans.com/

They are owned and run by a group of raft companies and the site can help you determine which trip is best for you.

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Canyoneers Raft Trip

I was a guide and trip leader for Canyoneers for several years. They are a top notch company.

As red said, all the guides in Grand Canyon are top notch professionals.

I particularly like the oar trips that Canyoneers runs with the Sandra (an authentic Cataract boat from the pioneering days of commercial river running).

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canyoneers Raft Trip

Well, we did it! Booked the Canyoneers trip, we are staying one full day and 2 nights in Flagstaff after the river run. Should we book a spa stay and just relax. Or will we be reved up to see more of the area? I am sure it must be quite an adjustment to come back to the real world after a week in the Canyon. Any thoughts on re-entry?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,081 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canyoneers Raft Trip

Re-entry is a strange exercise. Being without news and communication with the rest of the world for a week is something that is hard to imagine or accomplish. Our bus driver on the ride back to Flag was our first source of news.

You will be tired after the trip. And filthy. We threw away most of what we wore on the river all week. If you think you want to keep stuff you'll want to wash it ASAP. A relaxing day in Flag is an ideal plan. Not sure I'd book a spa, but it is an option.

Make sure that you spend time inside the GCNP either before or after your river trip though, especially at Desert View. Seeing the river from above and below is important.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canyoneers Raft Trip

hmmm...I guess I was trying not to backtrack back to the GC....the outifitter only offers a ride to Flagstaff at 3:30 on Saturday, that is are only option to reconnect with our "stuff".

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canyoneers Raft Trip

if u like a more stuffy, hammed packed boat of uptight people, go w canyoneers. if u want a more funny crowd/group and campfires and a more enjoyable funnt trip go with western river. ive done both and would go with western river for sure handsdown. why? they did camp fires. had toga night, drank a beer or two or three, had a talent night. it was hilarious. also we had two boats instead one 25 people crammed into one boat. and after 7 days of being stuck w aome uptight school teacher or jealous old ladies, u really need some space. im 43 and a woman and u get a lot of much older women on these thins that r uptight and judgmental. watch out. go with Western River who has a more diverse crowd and a more relaxed atmosphere. tje guides r just as qualified and the food just as good if not better. u r there for fun, not chirch!!!!

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canyoneers Raft Trip

if u like a more stuffy, hammed packed boat of uptight people, go w canyoneers. if u want a more funny crowd/group and campfires and a more enjoyable funnt trip go with western river. ive done both and would go with western river for sure handsdown. why? they did camp fires. had toga night, drank a beer or two or three, had a talent night. it was hilarious. also we had two boats instead one 25 people crammed into one boat. and after 7 days of being stuck w aome uptight school teacher or jealous old ladies, u really need some space. im 43 and a woman and u get a lot of much older women on these thins that r uptight and judgmental. watch out. go with Western River who has a more diverse crowd and a more relaxed atmosphere. the guides r just as qualified and the food just as good if not better. u r there for fun, not church!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,081 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canyoneers Raft Trip

I'll respectfully disagree with audballa. We had campfires, toga night, cocktails every afternoon,talent night and all of the other hilarious activities that the poster recalls from their Western River trip.

No one was ever crammed into the raft, in fact, it was large enough that we could all move around quite freely.

I submit that while a trip provider and crew is essential, it is the team of passengers that will make or break a trip. Those who are willing to pitch in and help with loading, off loading, camp site set up and break down, and do it all together will get far more out of their trip than folks who expect the crew to do everything for them. While indeed, the crew is capable and qualified to do it all, if they have help from the team, they are then freed up to do extra things like tapas and snacks to go with the cocktails. They'll take part in the campfire games and stories at night.

So if you had a stuffy old person on your trip and you allowed that one person to spoil it for you and the rest, too bad. You should have taken the lead and made it more fun. The trip is what you make it. I would do mine again in a minute. I made a dozen new best friends.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canyoneers Raft Trip

Dang... audballa's experience sounds so totally out-of-character for any Grand Canyon river trip regardless of the company you go with. I went down the river with Wilderness River Adventures in 1998 (8-day/7-night) and had a blast! Though our activities were somewhat different (no toga night, but we had our own brand of fun, trust me!), we had a wonderful group, some of whom took the same trip every year, sometimes with WRA, sometimes with another company depending on their schedule. My boss recently traveled with Grand Canyon White Water (formerly Diamond River) and also would do it again in a heartbeat. He made this video ->: http://youtu.be/LO-Mzupkuuw

Moral of the story: if Canyoneers has a trip offering that fits your schedule, go for it and don't let one person's "experience" scare you; as RedRox indicated, audballa's account is not the norm. If you're still doing your research, try Rivers & Oceans at rivers-oceans.com or call 1-800-473-4576. They work with all of the outfitters and can save you a lot of legwork, phone calls, etc.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canyoneers Raft Trip

audballa's post (filled with mispellings and bad grammar) and heavy duty judgement is all the reason I will ever need to avoid Western River. Could she possibly have been sober when she wrote it?