We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Fe at Christmas

Dallas
1 post
2 reviews
Santa Fe at Christmas

I was considering spending Christmas in Santa Fe, but due to the elevation and the season I was concerned with there possibly being snow & ice. Is this a valid concern?

Thanks!

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
135 reviews
1. Re: Santa Fe at Christmas

Yes, there could be snow in Santa Fe around Christmas. However, roads are well maintained, and unless they have a really big snow, it usually is gone within a day or two. The Sangre de Christo mountains are another thing entirely. The Santa Fe Ski Basin is right above Santa Fe, and can get quite a bit of snow.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
417 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Santa Fe at Christmas

I was in Santa Fe for a week last Christmas. The purpose of the tour was to visit as many of the Pueblo celebrations as possible... and we did!

The weather was extremely cold and, yes, there were snow and ice. We didn't notice it in town, being able to duck into shops... but it sure was cold watching the dancing for hours at the pueblos. Temp never got as high as 32!

That being said... it was also a magical and beautiful time. The word "magical" kept entering our conversations so often that we tried to think of other words to use. None expressed the correct feelings as well, however. (grin)

Santa Fe is an amazing place to be at Christmas time! Enjoy.

Lynn in Rochester, NY

South Portland...
Level Contributor
93 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Santa Fe at Christmas

We spent Christmas in Santa Fe a few years back and I only have one warning- plan your meals for Christmas Eve and christmas ahead of time. We had a difficult time finding a restaurant open on both days that we wanted to eat at and the decent ones that were open were packed and had short hours.

Our snow in NM is not like getting caught in a snow storm, say in New England usually. You will not normally find yourself snowed in and stores closing up. It could also be 50! Or if it does snow, just hold on- it will change in a few hours.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Santa Fe at Christmas

Snow is part of the magical experience of Northern New Mexico at Christmas. It's not only a fact of life, it's expected. During the day, the sunny skies help cast that light this area is known for around the world. As the sun sets, the temperatures quickly drop and we all bundle up to venture out to the various festivities hosted by each town or each Pueblo.

The previous post hit the nail on the head -- the word "magical" keeps coming up over and over again. I've also heard: "It ain't about Santa Clause here."

A few layers of the appropriate, comfy clothing and a warm heart are all you need. The weather plays a role in creating the atmosphere of sharing a special moment with yourself, your family and friends, and the community that has gathered to be here.

Travel+Leisure Magazine designated Taos and Santa Fe as 2 of the Top 10 Destinations for Christmas. With good reason.

Edited: 06 August 2010, 18:44
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Santa Fe at Christmas

Yes, snow possible (even desired, for atmosphere). However, it is rare if it gets much deeper than, say 6 inches or so, not a real "blizzard" or anything. A few years ago around Christmas, SF got a foot or two of snow and no one was prepared for "so much". That shut things down, so you can see that is not the norm at all.

As said, SF often gets snow showers, comes, goes, melts, etc. Ice can be an issue, but same conditions. If you plan to stay in Santa Fe itself, I'd say, no problem. Sometimes the roads outside of town, esp. going north towards Taos, can be an issue, tho. I try not to plan too much distance travel in winer, but then again, it can be fine after all.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
480 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Santa Fe at Christmas

Christmas *is* a magical time to be in Santa Fe, just as rochesterwoman says.

There will be snow but I don't recall ice in town but up at the ski area was a little icy but nothing bad.

We were in Santa Fe when the blizzard of 2006 hit. It was something else! It shut down I-40 and I-25. We got there the day before it hit. The town was so quiet and everyone was in such a playful mood. Snowball fights between strangers, people cross-country skiing through the plaza. It was one of our most memorable times in Santa Fe.

Santa Fe, NM
Level Contributor
249 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Santa Fe at Christmas

Yes! Snow! Because of elevation and western weather, it's usually "fluffier" than eastern snow and doesn't linger enough in town to become that old, gray stuff of other climes.

However, expect cold temperatures, plenty of snow a couple of thousand feet higher than town, and certainly think about bringing weatherproof boots. Icy spots on sidewalks will be on shady north sides of buildings.

Our ski/snowshoe season often begins by mid-December and lasts until March.

Edited: 12 August 2010, 07:13
8. Re: Santa Fe at Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2011, 10:50