We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best family trip

Yakima, WA
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best family trip

I enjoyed a short September visit to Orcas with my Husband three years ago. Now, my 12 and 2 year old might want to go see the San Juans. My 12 year old is a nature and animal lover, so I know she'd love it, but I'm worried about the 2 year old. I didn't see any toddlers anywhere but Eastsound. We are wondering if Friday Harbor would be a better match. We saw the canvas cabins at Lakedale and Lonesome Cove, and wondered if these options would allow afforable and kid-friendly accommodation. I'm thinking in Sept. using a wood stove might be a hazzard with the 2 year old trying to touch it. I could bring a cumbersome baby barrier. Don't want to though. But I do want the kitchen so I can cook and not have to take the toddler to nice restaurants (she is not the best toddler for being cooperative in public). The other thing we might like is to see Port Townsend on the way, or Forks. My H was born in Forks and my 12 year old would love to do the 9-11 Twilight event this year. I guess I need to reseach the driving distance from all these points to see if it's possible in a day trip to arrive at F.H. for the night.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best family trip

Whoa, take a deep breath, your comments are scattered.

Please tell us how many days/nights you have for this trip.

You say "on the way"; on the way from and to what?

What day trip? Is that all you have or are you asking something else?

Port Townsend is not on the way to/from Friday Harbor. They are quite distant from each other in time, not as the gull flies, and you are not gulls. :)

Forks is another long drive, but from where?

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, would be perfect for the family and your needs. See the many things to see and to do on the pasted article and website, below.

Lonesome Cove - we go there often, but you might search for other places offering kitchen facilities; you might find some that are cheaper. See the official website, below. Lonesome Cove has electric baseboard heat and gas fireplaces. I don't recall if they use wood stoves anymore.

I'd check the websites of and call Lakedale and Lonesome Cove. If they are too expensive, ask them about alternative lodging.

San Juan Islands (Information on the several major islands, with key websites.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

An official and very helpful guide to the islands.

http://www.visitsanjuans.com/

Edited: 29 August 2011, 09:42
2. Re: Best family trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 08:45
Get answers to your questions about Friday Harbor
More Friday Harbor Topics