We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Dinner

Long Beach, New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Dinner

I decided on staying at the Westin Riverwalk, will be there 5/10 - 5/13. Husband likes Italian and Mexican food the best, so would like to get suggestions for dinners, being we will only be there for 3 nites. Will not have car, but do like walking, so anything is good. Read about restaurants in Pearl Brewery and also the market area, and being from NYC we are open to anything.

Thanks

1. Re: Suggestions for Dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 21:21
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,228 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Dinner

+1 for Paesano's

I also like Bohanan's for a high end steak.

Boudro's is a great representation of SA cuisine.

Pearl has a couple of good restaurants (and you can take a boat "taxi" to get there.)

Rosarios is good Mexican food near downtown. I have several other favorites, but all are pretty far from downtown. I always recommend that visitors go to Mi Tierra's. There open 24/7 and if you can go the distance, the people watching is great starting about 2 am after the bars close.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Dinner

The riverwalk Mexican Food restaurant are a little below average IMO.

In the Market Square www.marketsquaresa.com you have 2 that are very good . Mi Tierra www.mitierracafe.com as Octoboy recommended + La Margarita www.lamargarita.com You can walk from riverwalk or take the streetcar/trolley to get there.

www.viainfo.net/Busservice/Streetcar.aspx

At the Westin you have Zocca www.zoccariverwalk.com for Italian which is very good as well + you can also sit on the patio of the riverwalk which is very lovely or a table nearby to see out.

There is also Michelino's www.michelinos.us with good Italian food.

Definitely stop at Boudro's www.boudros.com for some excellent food but at least for the guacamole prepared tableside with a yummy Prickly Pear Margarita.

On the riverwalk I have friends that love Casa Rio I'm not particular as fond of this place but they make it a stop when in tow so everyone has different taste in what they like so you may give this place a try.

If you are looking for a good but reasonable steakhouse you have Saltgrass www.saltgrass.com

You could also go to the Tower of the Americas www.toweroftheamericas.com for some fine dining at sunset as the restaurant rotates around the city skyline. The view is spectacular, service is superior & the food is excellent.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Dinner

Hello-

Just so you know Mi Tierra is the biggest tourist trap in San Antonio. I can't believe people from SA recommend it. I think they have never gone. I also can't believe someone suggested Saltgrass. Awful. I lived in SA but now I live in Houston. I have not been to Zocca but have a friend who likes it. I was in SA last weekend and went to a couple of new places. They are both unique to the city. My favorite by far was FEAST restaurant in King William. It is a short walk from the Westin. The place was hopping and it had a really good vibe. The food was eclectic and wonderful. Nothing touristy about this place. Went to Bliss as well but was a little underwhelmed. I like Azuca for Latin food as an alternative to Mexican food and think you should check it out as well.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,228 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Dinner

Comparing Zocca, Feast, and Bliss to Mi Tierra is like comparing apples to oranges. I've eaten at all four and like all four. For me, Zocca, Feast, and Bliss are fine examples of the "new Latin-American inspired" cuisine. I don't view them as a particularly San Antonio specific. I can see them being located in any big city.

Mi Tierra is a Tourist Restaurant in the best sense of the definition. The food is good (not my favorite) and I eat there several times a year. Why do I go? For the experience. If you want to get a snapshot of that late 60's early 70's San Antonio Hemisfair vibe I certainly recommend it.

Dallas area
Level Contributor
93 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Dinner

I go to Mi Tierras for the bakery ,margaritas, and atmosphere, the food is so so

We always make Chris Madrids a stop, also La Jacala, its a family thing, a tradition.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for Dinner

If you are staying in the downtown area & don't have a car & want some good Mexican food than I say that Mi Tierra is a good choice + it's better than the places on the Riverwalk. I've eaten at all of them & have more than once & had no problem with these places.

Azuca is ok but to me it's not more special than the others.

Personally I like Saltgrass & don't have a problem with them each person has their opinion or taste & we all don't agree or have the say taste.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
132 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for Dinner

I jusyt returned form my first time in SA-LOVED it! We went to Acenar on Riverwalk, well overlooking it but people don't walk right through where your table is and had excellent food. I had the duck crepes. They do have some healthy choices of Mexican also. We ate at La Margarita in the Market twice and it was excellent and we looked at Mi Terra but it did look like a tourist production and we skipped it. My favorite by FAR was Azuca; I had the Latin paella (it is latin America, not just Mexican). ALso on Friday night there was a 10 piece band and salsa and merengue dancing in the bar.Very walkable from Westin, we stayed next door at Grand Hyatt.

Special occaision, higher end Canarias was lovely, romantic, quiet but on the Riverwalk.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,228 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for Dinner

Thanks for the out of towner point of view, Sue. I would not challenge any of your comments. Just to add - Azuca has a great happy hour - $3.50 mojitos and more and several $3.50 appetizers at the bar. Mi Tierra and La Margaarita are owned by the same family (as is Pico De Gallo) so you can expect similar quality of food.

Glad you enjoyed SA!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for Dinner

I just got home (Austin) from having my sites on the new TexMex restaurant Maria Mia and seeing George Hamilton in La Cage. Last night I surfed the web trying to decide where I wanted to eat and saw a blog that mentioned a new restaurant in Rivercenter Mall. It is down sidewalk from Tony Romo's and next door to Luciano's Italian just off the food court area. I have never been to Luciano's so I walked inside and looked around and it is very, very nice and you can sit outside too.

Bad news is when I got to Maria Mia I was not very hungry and had to be a Majestic Theatre in an hour and half so I went to plan B. Next time I come I will definitely be trying it. It opened two weeks ago and you can sit outside or eat in the very large, very well decorated dining room or sit at bar. Everyone (staff) was very friendly and what food I saw, looked good. It was only 3:30pm so they weren't jammin for dinner yet and staff chatted with me.

Menu is typical Tex Mex fare, but they had 2 things out of the norm. Crawfish Enchiladas ($14) and Smoked BBQ brisket enchiladas (12) with rice and refried beans. For vegans they have veggie fajitas ($13) that sound good. Desserts included Fried Ice Cream ($7) which I've never had, but want to try.

I may be wrong, but since I'm a senior citizen now and have visited SAnt for 50 plus years, my theory is, snack and drink at the riverwalk touristy restaurants, but get off the main hub of the riverwalk for dining. Just my 2 cents. There are exceptions like Bourdro's and Paesano's.